Rio Chama, NM?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Rio Chama, NM?

Post by oopsiflipped »

Thinking of trying to get a midweek run in next week, flow permitting. Anyone game?

Gabe
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

This is a dam release river and it is a pretty mellow run. Is there water mid week? I haven't been there in a while, but in the past they would only release for weekends (Friday-Sunday) and you needed a permit.

We ran it at about 2,000 CFS. It was pretty, but a yawner for white water. Not sure if it gets more fun, technical at lower levels, but I would think the flat water sections would be slow.

Unless things have changed, I would recommend not camping at the put-in area. When we did it (4 or so years ago), the put-in was a real fiasco. Between BLM and private camp ground owners, it was very strange.

The private owners were in the middle of a divorce arguing about where we could camp, battling over who we pay for camping, extra charges for stupid stuff, very bad bathroom facilities, human feces all over, very redneck, not friendly. The BLM guy supported what he man was telling us versus what the women was telling us. He seemed very shady too. It maybe better now, but we had a very bad camping and put-in experience.

Once we got on the river, it was good. We did it as a two nighter. The 1st night camps spots where forested and nice. The second night was desert camping with Cottenwoods along the river. If I remember right, the camping options kind of sucked in comparison to the first night.

You might also want to check about car breakins at the take-out?
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

well, it's at 285 today so i would be looking for some more rain down that way. i'm not looking for awesome whitewater, just a nice float through a beautiful canyon to celebrate turning 28!

gabe
dirk
C Boater

Rio Chama

Post by dirk »

I was with a group on the Chama about 4 years ago (late May). Flow was around 500 cfs. That was enough flow to keep us moving and had enough rocks exposed to keep us on our toes. No rapids of any significance. Three days and two nights on the river. We also stayed at the El Vado campground the night before launch. Our experience was similar to AJ’s. Not a great place to stay, but very convenient.

Once on the river, it was well worth it. Very beautiful country. It looks like they have good releases during the weekends, but not much during the week.

The links below are a trip report and some pictures.

I hope you make the trip.

Dirk

http://www.amphibious.org/~tracy/Rio%20 ... eport.html

http://www.amphibious.org/album/index.p ... xico/Chama
Austin, TX
OC1
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

You can camp in the State Wildlife Area to the west of the highway into El Vado. One site is on the river above the reservoir.

You can probably call and get a Friday/Saturday permit since flows aren't great but certainly doable. The pattern has been turn on at noon Friday and turn off at noon Sunday.

Rains won't make a difference since all the water comes from the reservoir.