interchangabal outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

driftwood
C Guru

interchangabal outfitting

Post by driftwood »

A friend of mine is considering trying C-1 (currently a kayaker). he wants a outfitting job that he can change from k1 to c1 on a regular basis.
Any suggestions? the boat is a Wave Sport Ace (not the best in my opinion) and because it is going to go back and forth no permanent changes can be made (i.e. no new holes, no cutting out thigh brace mounts).

My best idea was for the saddle. If you put D rings on the floor under the seat (2 or 4 of them) and drill big holes through a foam saddle you could use short cam straps to hold it in. The D rings should go under the kayak seat Ok for butt boating, and the Saddle would never need to be glued in. Ever see that work?

Wood
Will dance for rain
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

that would be nice.... but it would be really tough if you want to have good outfitting, which is KEY for fun in a c1. in reality though, i doubt anyone would actually spend the time to switch the outfitting back and forth more than once or twice. when good kayaks can be found for so little dough... he should just set one up for real. that way, if all he needs to do is grab a different paddle, he may actually paddle the thing.
Larry
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I agree with Larry.
I set up a X as a crossover boat. Modified the seat in it to support both k and c. Only had to slip in a pedestal & tighten a strap and away we'd go. Major PITA - never sure what I was going to paddle (always had the wrong paddle) and the set up was a bit sloppy in support.
Never felt quite right like the boats I paddle now. I say...gut it (save the guts) and set it up right for a nice tight fit that brings on the joy! My $.01! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

That would be hard and it will be hard to have any good knee cups and toe/feet pads (which I find necessary).
driftwood
C Guru

Post by driftwood »

"when good kayaks can be found for so little dough... he should just set one up for real."

hmmmm you guys must have jobs. we (my friend and I) are both full time students, and I think he is to apprehensive to sacrifice his only boat.

how about some more details on the boat that was set up to switch.

wood

almost forgot, I paddled a new wave C-2 that had knee-cups that were Velcroed in, adjustable and solid. comments?
Will dance for rain
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

Heres my idea for a fix (and yes I have a job, but I am repaying my student loans, so even worse). Sit in you kayak, mark out areas with a Sharpie where you could put knee and tow pads. If the knee cups won't effect your legs paddling, then I would glue them in (the last thing you want is to have them move when paddling). Do the same for the toe/feel pads. Then take the seat out and look at getting a Northwater adjustable seat. This will strap around the kayak stiffener. The only thing that you will have to drill is the stiffener down by the bottle holder. This is where the thigh straps attach, unless you are going to build a bulk head. I have just finish building a C1 and the way I have it setup it can be converted back, with exception to the knee and feet pads. If you want I can email you some pics of my setup.
Ryan
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I'll look for pix on the switch hitter but I doubt I still have them.

as the set up - I cut the seat out at the back (lip) and padded it where my legs slid back. Placed knee pads in front to the seat. Then placed hold down starp through the K seat that could be used to strap a pedestal in. thigh straps from center seat to existing seat bolts. Pad out everywhere else as needed. REALLY butt ugly set up - not comfortable and I was way too tall with knees too tight but I did run fairly big drops and got better (as the beat downs educated me).

Just a thought how about a team etc set up using existing bolts. Might take a little planning ahead of time to get it set up right for the day but not more then 10 - 15 minutes.

Another thought - beg others for a handy me down for making into a C. It might be older but some of those designs work really well (e.g.: X, disco, Zwo, etc.).

On the velcro - it would work for general paddling but when the moves had to be made in big water or technical stuff (and in a C2 they have to be made or things get ugly fast) it would be a bit skitchy!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!