important response needed

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

noobopenboater
Pain Boater

important response needed

Post by noobopenboater »

Just purchased a brand new outrage :D , local shop picked it up from MR last week and I picked it up today during my lunch hour. It was still in the bubble wrap. BUT, when I get it home (it has wood gunwales) one of the gunwales looks out of shape compared to the other. Ive been paddling a borrowed wood gunwaled OR over the summer so I know they are straight near the middle and the curve is at the ends. one side is like this but the other gunwale is more gradual curve so it looks funny and not quite right. Is this a no brainer take it back situation? I know the shop owner well so he'll take care of it if necc. but wanted to ask here also.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Take it back. It will not change shape. If you paid full price for a non-blem boat, that is what you should get.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Take it back.

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

Take it back. I had a wood-gunwhale issue with the first Bell Prodigy X I bought (and, hey, it's really too bad you bought an Outrage instead of a Prodigy; the Prodigy totally rocks), my local dealer sent it back with no question or discussion, and Bell replaced it with no question or discussion.

By the way, what is this "wood gunneled OR" that you have been paddling? I can't think of any open canoe with that designation.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

Its sounds like it should of been a belm. If you don't mind the looks, ask for a discount, . It may not effect the proformance. Ask your buddy to take a look to see if the gunnels changed the shape of the hull. It it did, sent it back.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

'GUNWALE' :D
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

GUNWHALE
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

TREYKOPEDIA GUN-WHALE you know the thing you hold onto so you don't tip over. lol
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

You're all wrong. ;-)

It's Gunnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnel
________
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Take it back.

Post by sbroam »

Oci-One Kanubi wrote: By the way, what is this "wood gunneled OR" that you have been paddling? I can't think of any open canoe with that designation.
OR=OutRage?
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

here is a pic..

Post by noobopenboater »

thanks for the replies. bad shorthand I guess OR= OutRage. Anyways I took the boat back to the shop, the owner got MR on the phone and they offered me partial refund for blem or a new boat. So they are sending me a new boat, the gunnels looked bad to me. It made th width in the middle of the boat wider by 3/4 an inch. It litterally looked like a different gunnel on each side or one longer than the other. Even if performance wasnt effected I couldnt stand to look at it.see..
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Yikes...That is a crooked looking OC...Even the deck plate looks,...off...
SYOTR
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

8) ...built on a monday!!
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Hey Dude,
It looks like one of Corran Addisons designs!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Re: Take it back.

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

sbroam wrote:
Oci-One Kanubi wrote: By the way, what is this "wood gunneled OR" that you have been paddling? I can't think of any open canoe with that designation.
OR=OutRage?
Uh; yeh that must be it. Threw me for a loop when I read it, and it didn't seem to refer to the same boat (Outrage) that he had bought. Left me confused (like that's hard to do!)
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll