What would be a good next boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I paddle a Genesis when I go tripping, though at 165 pounds plus gear, I don't bring it anywhere up to 280. Even though it's old school, I really like the boat. Very stable. It used to be what all the bigger paddlers in our local paddling club used to paddle, before moving on to Outrage X's. Running it very light when tripping, I actually do some playing, catching waves and eddies. It's a wide boat though. Try before you buy.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

How is the Mad river Caption if I can not find an old one
it is supose to be a reintroduce since the are both the same parent company now
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I haven't seen any new Captions. But old Captions and Capers come up fairly frequently. If you're looking for a new "Caption", you could try Esquif's Vertige X or Mohawk's Probe 14. But I think they make pretty big, heavy solos, even for a big guy. Actually, the Vertige might be an option, but probably kinda toned down like the XL.

An old OT H2Pro might be good, or a Blast, the list you've got is pretty complete, if you get a chance try the "smaller" ones like the OutrageX and ProdigyX and the Nitro.

I'm 215 or so, and paddle an Outrage (manufacturer's recommended max of 180 or 190). I like the boat just fine.

Good luck, PY.
awelch
Pain Boater

Nitro

Post by awelch »

I am 6'0 and around 260 but when I got my Nitro I was at around 280. As a first boat at that weight class I probably wouldn't recommend it. But, since you've paddled you would probably dig it. I love mine but it was definitely a little tippy trying to learn oc-1 in as a first boat. I am definitely getting a handle on things now but I spent a lot of time swimming to get there.

I have only paddled my Nitro and only for a year; so I have no comparrisons to make here. But, I have seen a lot of other boats at the rivers and I would say the hull design (high volume) of the Nitro gives it more buoyancy than most 11'-6" boats. It probably would be comparable to MR or Bell "X" boats as far as floating goes.

I spent a lot of time researching boats before I chose that one, first I looked at solo rigged tandems and talked to folks about that. Most people said go with an "X" boat 12-13'. Then a guy from here; I think his name was Trey, said to try the Nitro and called me a runt compared to him. He had just tried it out and said it was designed with larger people in mind.

Without fail everyone I talked to said to go with the shortest boat I could fit into. I can honestly say that I have caught eddies in that boat that I would not have been able catch in a slightly longer boat. Also I have surfed that boat on waves that other people missed or struggled with and they were much better paddlers than me.

I saw that link to the outdoor provison co. I bought my Nitro from their charlotte location, they were very helpful, had the best price on the boat, and had it in stock. If you want to talk to someone from there the guy at the Raleigh/Durham location is a c-boater and the rep for Esquif told me talk to him.

Hope that helps........
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I am on 1-2 hour from Kaz so I could get one off him and no sales tax. He drive to the factory a couple times a year. I am also going to make a serious effort to drop some pound between now an spring. Only a few more dam releases. It has also so been pretty dry Loosing the pounds will make my wife happy also getting a new boat will bring her back to the same :D
Brtween the oil prices and drop in US dollar they will probably be a lot more expesnsive next year :( thans again
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I sent an email to esquif and ask what boat they thought I should get and this is the answer I got

Three boats come to mind after speaking to one of my colleagues...

1) Vertige - very similar to the Mohawk you are currently paddling only 2" shorter
2) Blast - a tandem boat that we could outfit as a solo, this has a very different shape then your Mohawk or the Vertige. The Blast has hard chine and a flat hull. At 13' you will have more performance.
3) Nitro - like the Blast the Nitro has hard chine and a flat hull, this boat would definitely be wet for you given your size. (That can be fun though!) The Nitro has a length of 11'5", it will have increased maneuverability over the Vertige and Blast but a slower hull speed.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

LOL sorry about the runt comment. That was my brothers knickname. He is only 6'2".
Glad you like the Nitro. It may be my next boat when I run out of Encores. Someone mentioned that Mad River or Esquif may produce the Encore again.

TwinTex Encore yea baby sign me up.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
awelch
Pain Boater

Wet

Post by awelch »

I agree with what they said about the Nitro. I got one with a bilge pump. I have no problems staying up with water slightly over my knees but after that things usually get interesting if I am not out of the white stuff. With the big bulbous ends it has it goes right over waves unless I am trying to "duck dive" it when I am getting too hot and I have taken it over +/- 4 ft ledges with a weak boof stroke and not gotten much water at all. It drains pretty quickly with the bilge pump and flotation. I have 48" bags in mine with the factory outfiting and they could be bigger. I might try to upgrade next year to bigger bags.

I let the guy that taught my beginner oc-1 course surf it (he was in a Viper 12) and he said it didn't really feel like a hard chined boat. He was also a lot smaller than me. It has a double chine so you can use the edge if you want to once you figure that out. I would check them all out if you can. I didn't because I missed the Esquif demo near me and wasn't cormfortable with the idea of paddling the Nanty with no clue what I was doing.

Trey, no sweat! It was pretty darn funny actually and I am glad you said it because I was defintely on the fence about the boat and that pushed me off. I love my Nitro although I would love it more if it were +/- 32 lbs! When I rag it out I am going to check out a zephyr or whatever is available in the twin-tex at the time.

One more thing about it. The bottom is not really flat it is slightly reverse arched. So you get a concentrated wear on the chines. I have made probably 25 runs in mine and it is showing ABS on the lower chines below the saddle. I tried painting it to protect from UV but it looked about the same my first run after painting. I saw a guy on here that had ABS putty around the wear spots it looked pretty cool sort of a surf board design on the bottom of his boat! I imagine the same thing would happen to the blast.
Open Gate
C Guru

Re: Wet

Post by Open Gate »

awelch wrote: I saw a guy on here that had ABS putty around the wear spots it looked pretty cool sort of a surf board design on the bottom of his boat! I imagine the same thing would happen to the blast.
Yes, ABS putty on those chins is the way to go, paint will wear too quickly !

Blast is exactly the same (Detonator also) same double chin concept with the easy wear in these areas...That's the only negative part to these marvelleous boats !!!

I avoid the bony stuff with my Detonator and Blast and save those chins for the big water runs. Mind you I have 9 boats to chose from so I keep the plastic boats for the bony runs...

Here in Ottawa / Gatineau there is always big water to run within 90 minutes drive 8) so we're always good to go !

I'm also glad to read that the Nitro suites someone of your size. Small boat for a big guy !!! Got to love it :)