what's a used Dagger Legend worth?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

what's a used Dagger Legend worth?

Post by sbroam »

a friend of mine has a number of Dagger Legends in fair to very good condition that he has used in his non-profit org for a number of years. He's thinking of selling them and replacing them with what has been working out a lot better the last couple of years - sit on top kayaks... So, what's a Legend worth these days?
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Scott,

They are great tripping and river canoes. I would give $400.00 for one in very good shape that has been stored out of the sun and was built with the heavy layup. Can not remember what year they changed to a slightly lighter rx layup, I think 1997 or 1998. Now the rx canoes are an even a lighter layup. Maybe $250.00 low end for a beater/abused boat. Those old daggers with the heavier layup last a long time (3 of the 4 ww dagger boats and the Interlude I have are the heavier layup).

I have paddled the 16' Legend. I recall you had an Interlude. Not as fast as the Interlude, but you have the extra carrying capacity and IMO is more comfortable loaded for trips than the Interlude. I use the Interlude for day trips and my MR Explorer for tripping.

That reminds me, gotta pack this evening for my trip down the Neuse tomorrow. 3 days 2 overnites about 36 miles. I will likely take the Explorer and not the Interlude on this one. Will come out Wednesday, take a break and then off to GAF Friday-Sunday.

I am not independently wealthy, just crazy and on vacation...
SYOTR
hammerhead
C Guru

LEGEND

Post by hammerhead »

PAID $950 FOR A NEW LEGEND YEARS AGO & WOULD CERTAINLY DO IT AGAIN IF I NEEDED 1. GREAT, DO-EVERYTHING BOAT THAT CAN TAKE PUNISHMENT. IMHO - $350 TO $450.

CHEERS, HH
madmike
C Guru

Daggers

Post by madmike »

I would like to buy 4! got paddles?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think he has a potential buyer, but wanted a sanity check on the price. I'll be talking to him soon and see if he sells them or not. I'll post back here or PM you (madmike).
madmike
C Guru

Post by madmike »

milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Dagger Legend sitting in a garage going nowhere. Worthless. River tripping in the Legend on something like the Tatshenshini/Alsek in August. Priceless.

The boat is an amazing Class III barge. Particularly in the heavier layup.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Legend 15

Post by YTcanoe »

Milkman - PRICELESS If its a Legend 15

I used one for a highwater, unsupported solo of the Alsek (from source). All rapids run aside from Turnback (3 day portage)

There is absolutely no other boat out there that can compete with the 15 as a solo BIG water tripper.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

My helmet is off to you. That's really awesome. I wouldn't have thought a run like that would be possible in a 15' Legend. I heard from a rafter friend that a lot of the other rapids in the Alsek are pretty tough.

I did the Tat in a 16' Legend with my wife. We had rafts and other canoes with us, but ran self supported. I was originally going to take my Dimension, but switched to the Legend because it holds more gear.