anyone tried a small size Vajda lizard '07?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFD
C Guru

anyone tried a small size Vajda lizard '07?

Post by JFD »

I'm looking for a better fit for my slalom boat, something with a stern that I can sink on demand. My current boat (Makao) has a little too much volume in the stern for my weight (62 kg). I've added a bunch of weight to the boat, which helps for pivots, but you pay for it with less acceleration. Has anyone in this weight range found a good 3.5 meter boat that works? It looks like the options in the US are a Makao junior or a Vajda lizard (small or medium). Do you lose a lot of bow volume in these smaller boats? It seems to me the best design would be something with a good bit of voume up front and the sliciest stern you can get away with. I'd be interested to hear some opinions on these before I spend a lot of money on the wrong one.
Thanks,
jay
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

How ambitious are you? You've got 15cm to play with (i.e. remove) in the stern. Slice the boat at the seam line from the stern to the cockpit. Take a piece of pie out. Squash the stern down and trim the end halves until the length is 3.5M. Then, re-seam and put on a legal end. I did it to my race boat last year. Took about 10 hours total. It's a pivoting king now. 8)
Bob P
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

the makao s 351...the old lizard is 365.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i would just like to say I am thrilled with the recent activity of slalom discussion on this board. Hopefully in a month it will continue because I get surgery and I am going to NEED something to occupy my mind...
cheers
-isaac
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

You should still be able to chop the stern down without losing length, it's a pretty common practice with squirtboats. Cut along the the seam line, but leave a few inches at the end intact. Taper the cut so the middle of the cut is the widest, and the ends taper away to no cut. I'd say also make sure you don't lose width from the wings, so you're still legal. For squirtboats, we pull the whole works back together with strapping tape when it's time to seam it, and you can duct tape over it to float test it to see if you've got it where you want it.
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Okay, here's my take.

The Lizard is a nice boat. I have an '06 model cut down 10 cm by the company (I think that is essentially the '07). I weigh about 140lbs (63.5 kg) and have a large, which is a bit big for me, but the extra volume helps keep the boat up in pushy water, and the stern can still be pushed under with enough momentum. The medium would definitely fit you better than a large. I have heard someone around 150 lbs say they thought they were too heavy for the medium, but for you I think it would be perfect. Small would most likely be too small.
I wouldn't worry about the small bow too much, you just have to be conscious of keeping it from diving into waves and holes.

Haven't paddled a Makao for comparison, but I love the Lizard. Depending on how tall you are, and how adventurous you're feeling, maybe see if there are any Vajda Martikans to try in the US. Not sure about that. I've heard the boat's tough to paddle--I would still like to try one though.

Nate
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Jay,
Let me know if you are thinking about getting rid of that Makao, I can't do anything now but if you still have it in the spring and I actually decide to return back to the US I would be interested.
Will
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

there are no martikans in the U.S. Julian Potvin of Canada has one. it doesn't work for him in my opinion, but it floats. It's just a super hard boat to paddle, because you can't throw yourself around, you have to be centered... i.e. martikan.
close, if you paddle both, you can feel the similarity, but you can also feel the differences they changed the bow from about 50 cms out, and the edges are twitchier, the stern has been reshaped to have more of the volume at the paddler, the boat is also taller than last year. it's fun, but definetely a neutral paddling boat. thats my take on those vajdas, enjoyable, but not my cup of tea, they don't seem to glide as well. they are for sure built better...
if the bow was wider about 1 meter out from the tip, I would be in one. but it's too small for me, Benn and I weigh almost the same, and he loves his, but we simply have different styles.
check benns site
www.bennfraker.com
he has a video of training at charlotte with some silly sweep ups, this is the epitome of the new stern, slicey as all get out. I think that the new lizard is a boat to be paddled a bit larger. I think that would increase the energy of the boat in ups.
cheers
-isaac
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

just speaking of boats built off the lizard.
has any one else on here tried jamies boat?
Alden?
-isaac
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Alden said he tried one. I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on it...
edg
C Guru

short slalom boats

Post by edg »

I know that Jessica Subido loves her Makao Jr. I doubt she's 60 kg, even on a heavy gravity day. One other option- which I have not tried, or seen, but would still be very curius about if I were in the market is the Orca:

http://itomco.wordpress.com/the-orca-c-1/

Canadian made, so less of a shipping hassle, fewer "translation" problems in ordering/customizing, and with the dollar at almost 1.5 to the Euro, almost certainly a better price. They seem to have some pretty interesting options- the usual chopping and trimming to size, plus two or even three part take apart boats for travel. Decisions, decisions....edg
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i paddled a first generation orca (jamie's boat) it was the 2nd one out of the mold, and it truthfully was alot like the lizard 350. the bows are very similar. it's not as tall, or poppy from ups, but it's easier to move laterally in big water. i am not sure if they are different now, I know craigs allens newer boat has a smaller stern, and left the bow the same. all food for thought. it's fun. but you lose glide with the design i feel, i mean jamie is a lighter dude, like 75 k i think, and the boat I tried was that same cut, it paddled fine, but i would prefer a bigger boat... it's a good option for smaller people, or well, just smaller people.
-isaac
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

jay,
where are you? I am moving to charlotte this monday, and I will have tons of downtime in the not so distant future so if you want, I can help you cut yor stern. have you had the boat on a course like charlotte yet? or ASCI? you may not want to trim much if any. i am at the moment considering if I want to go back to a full cut loco, it will be harder to pivot, but when you use the eddies at places like charlotte/ASCI/dickerson/other artificial courses, you really don't use that much pivoting, and the eddies make it easier...
food for thought.
but let me know if you want a hand in chopping. butter did that to his coho like 7 times, and then finally went with a jolly rodger from Prijon.
I know it's late... but Happy thanksgiving everybody.
cheers
-isaac
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Agreed. My Lizard is large for me, but in big water, it's nice to stay floating.

Isaac, that's pretty neat that you're moving to Charlotte.

Nate
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Jack,

The man wants a Monster Pivot. I can understand that. Did you let Paul aka PSComposites look at it for a little reduction surgery? Be very carefull as a foam core can pretty a tricky thing to work on if that is what you have.

Also, drop me a PM as I know someone who has a Jr. Lizard in the Washington DC area. You might be able to negotiate a spin around the Feeder Canal or something.

Tom