Esquif Blast is aptly named

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Esquif Blast is aptly named

Post by ohioboater »

I demoed a Blast on the Nanty a couple of days ago, and that boat sure is aptly named - more maneuverable than my solo boat, great secondary stability, surfs well, and is reasonably dry. Wow. What a blast! ;)

Only negative was the royalex - the demo boat looked to have maybe 10 trips on it (I think we put most of the scratches/dents in it), and some ABS was already starting to show through the vinyl on one of the chines. Granted, it was a very light hull, which was nice, but I'd rather deal with a few extra pounds and have thicker vinyl.

If I had to own just one boat, I think a triple outfitted Blast would be the one.
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Best white water tandem out there 8)

Don't know the Nanty, but the Blast is also superb in big water.

Dry as a solo, fun as a solo, but the power of 2 !!!

Paddling my Blast is surely a Blast !
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

For sure. Based on what I had read, I was expecting a really twitchy, wet boat. It wasn't twitchy at all, and that was with a team weight of probably 350 with gear. Quick, yes, but not twitchy. I had a first time open boater up front for part of the time, and she did fine.
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon
C Guru

Wow!

Post by Jon »

Beautiful river, beautiful pictures - the bow paddler looks like she is doing most of the work, while you look at the camera, though. :-)

I can see why you may have put a few scratches and dings in the boat. New Royalex is really soft. It wears a lot better if it is allowed to age in the sun for a few months. Then it rubs rather than peels.
bushpaddler
C Guru

Re: Wow!

Post by bushpaddler »

Jon wrote:Beautiful river, beautiful pictures - the bow paddler looks like she is doing most of the work, while you look at the camera, though. :-)

I can see why you may have put a few scratches and dings in the boat. New Royalex is really soft. It wears a lot better if it is allowed to age in the sun for a few months. Then it rubs rather than peels.

pssst, don't spill the beans....
I always tell her that I have to do steering, this is a responsible job.
Thougt about installing a beerholder and a sunshade in the stern :lol:
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;