Looking to relocate?????

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boathead
C Guru

Looking to relocate?????

Post by boathead »

The wife and I are pondering relocating to a warmer climate. One that still has seasons, but not as harsh. We currently live 70 miles north of Green Bay Wi. It is beautiful country in our area with several class II/III water available usually from early April to the end of October. This is our normal paddle season, however like several areas around North America, the past few years have been low water seasons at best. Our winters start to early and end to late, and they have been colder than my old bones seem to care for anymore. I have always considered Asheville N.C. or other western N.C. areas. We do not want to paddle class IV water. We are wondering if any of you have any other areas in mind. We have considered areas such as Colorado Springs, Buena Vista, of course, Durango out west and others in the Southeast such as Chatanooga Tn, Northern Georgia, Alabama etc. We are both single bladers in our early 50's and paddle C1 but mostly open boats.... Spanish Fly, Quake, Taureau, Cu Fly, Phantom, Ocoee etc. Again, we are looking for an area where we could hook-up with other paddlers with similar interests paddling similar water conditions. We may be older, but we are NOT old school. We just don't want to paddle water that is to far over our heads!! Any ideas or suggestions anyone is willing to share? Thanks....The Boathead....OUT.......
Bill M
C Guru

Relocation to SouthEast

Post by Bill M »

I personally love the Cumberland Plateau for class III paddling. Chattanooga would give good access to the plateau as well other Tn areas and N Alabama, N ga and W NC. There is great paddling in al these places. Now of course we are in a drought but still the place to be.
Bill
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Asheville, NC: Mountains, all kinds of whitewater, good health care, college town, not yet overpriced. Metros of Atlanta and Charoltte a day trip.
awelch
Pain Boater

SE

Post by awelch »

My wife and I moved to N.Georgia from FL to escape the heat. We had bee to the area and thought it was nice but we obviously didn't paddle WW in FL. If I had it to do again I would move to Asheville all day long.

That is if I was planning to move to the SE. There are probably some pretty cool places elsewhere too. I saw a 20/20 the other night about hapiness. They touted Asheville as the happiest city in the US.

Andy
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Well, I don't know if I should let the OC1 out of the bag, but there's no finer place for year-round whitewater paddling than Oregon and Washington. We still have seasons, but there's flowing water all year. Lots of class III options in the winter, fewer in the summer, but always a number of good choices. About the only thing that keeps us from paddling is occasional flooding. Portland even has an excellent canoe club, the Lower Columbia Canoe Club, that is primarily OC1 and OC2 enthusiasts. Check out the website at www.l-ccc.org
boathead
C Guru

Relocation

Post by boathead »

Looks as if Asheville is leading with 2 votes so far with Chatanooga and the Pacific N.W. carrying a vote each. Probably as far west as my wife would let me travel would be Colorado etc. Thanks to all and keep the ideas rolling.........Shivering in the Frozen Tundra........OUT
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I understand that the Asheville job market can be tight. It's pretty popular these days.
boathead
C Guru

Asheville

Post by boathead »

Yes, Asheville is a very popular area to live. Unfortunately that also drives the home $$'s upward. I am a parts manager for a Ford dealership in Northern Wisconsin. Actually had a job offer back in late October at Mountain Ford in Bryson City. Should have taken it. Just wasn't ready to throw the switch at that time. Oh well time will take care of itself.........Thanks Sbroam for the input.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Montana sucks, don't move here.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

cbcboat - All you need to do is tell them that it hit -33 degrees F in Butte this week. That should do it.

Eastern Washington is not as harsh - we hit -1 degree F this week. Still, I was practicing on flat water last Saturday. Love my drysuit!

Although I have not paddled the western sections of Oregon and Washington (west of the Cascade range), they seldom get too cold, with winter highs typically above freezing. Lots of nice looking water too. The mountains are close if you want winter.

Eastern Washington, Oregon and western Idaho have good spring and early summer white water boating. In summer, some of the big rivers (Salmon) are always available. Good flat water boating all year, except in cold years.

Marc
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

cbcboat that is funny!

If I wasn’t replying to a c-boater, I would say Colorado sucks too!
However, seeing how boathead is a c-boater, I will let him know Colorado is still a pretty nice place to live, if you love the outdoors. Not as great/wild as 20 years ago, but it is still a very nice place to live, with good class III paddling options and better weather then most would think. (please do not let this out to the general public)

With that said, stay away from Colorado Springs, unless you’re a conservative republican/religious freak.
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

My vote for Chattanooga, or North Georgia, .
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Lochsa ~8' = orgasmic
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

Hey thanks again gang..............Boathead
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

If you move west, don't be surprised if you find yourself without a decent paddling club. Some people in the kayaking clubs don't like the canoe, I guess they just can't appreciate the entertainment value of a good swim, and will demand that you have a bombproof roll on Class III. With patience, and relentless supplying of takeout beer, you will be tolerated but not accepted by the alpha members, kind of like that nature show I saw once about a misfit wolf that is trying to make it in a new pack but isn't really accepted. Some of the canoe clubs are totally comprised of Class II paddlers. Expect one reply to your trip posting, and only one reply that will go like, "Gee I don't know, the Milquetoast Run is at 2.10 feet. I've never really run it above 2 feet. Guess I'll have to pass."

Good luck!