Freestyle cboat-----please help!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

insolence
CBoats Addict

Freestyle cboat-----please help!

Post by insolence »

Hi folks

what do you think about the pyranha S6 as a freestyle C1? (I mean the 190 cm version)

Would it be suitable for me? I'm a 116 pound female, 5ft 5 inches tall (53 kg/ 165 cm in european measurements).

I liked it the first ride, but at the icy temperatures at the time, i can't test it in the playspot (too cold to roll) and I'm not freestyle experienced enough to figure out if its good or not anyway.

Please answer, thank you for your help!!!!
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Hi Sabrina,
First any C1 playboat is better than no C1 playboat......
If its your only option go for it...
If you can afford it there are a number of boats you could consider...If i was to recommend one it would be an EZG42....a good all round boat that will develope your skills quickly, its easy to throw ends in, very slicey and stable when balenced on its ends.
I do have one for sale 300 euros if you want......even if you dont I would still recomend one!....I had it as a winter playtoy and it was great even though it was like a squirt boat with my 85KG in it....but that was half the fun!!.
I am sure there will be other good suggestions but I still feel this is a good option as a first C1 playboat.
http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/gallery/picture.asp?id=361
Chris
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Sabrina,

nice to meet you here!

I don't know anything about the S6, but if it may be an option for you I'll have a Robson Twintip XS (maybe fits your weight) and a CuFly here for test paddling in a few weeks. If you're interested, drop me a PM...
We'll be back from Costa Rica on the easter weekend and the boats also should be available then (I hope)...

Florian

PS:
Our bentshaft paddling improves ;-)
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

Hey hoo another C1 girl... check this article http://c1freestyle.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... ience.html

I agree with Wetnobby, EZG is a good start... But I would recommend that you rather go for a kayak... I am no heretic but C1 playboating is HARD... On the other hand you ll be an exception for sure...and get a LOT of attention...
The S-6 is a good choice too but you should be careful with the seat position... with S6 it has to be well balanced because this boat is even less forgiving than any of the new playboats (Project, Agent etc....)
I envy you the Eisskanal... the Waschmachine is a sick hole... Hope to see you there at the World Cup... Are you coming to Prague?
Zoid
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Hi Both, Sabrina may not be the most experienced playboater but she is already a pretty awesome C boater....

This was last year on the Sanna S...section...

http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/gallery/picture.asp?id=581
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

Go for it then!! The EZG would be good for cartwheels/spins/blunts...
Loops are gonna be more difficult but a huge overthruster usualy does the job...
However I consider the Robson Twintip probably the best C1 for holeplay... so the S version might be perfect...
The Project 45 would also do... More balanced than the TT or EZG better wave performance...

So you are both coming to the World Cup?? Thats perfect... I d like to try your Astro Chris...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Only paddled an S6 as a C once - very enjoyable!!
Go for it - a fun boat that while being a tad twitchy (I'm 5'9" @ 185lb) was extremely playful! I was a tired boy getting out of it. 8)
At your weight you should have a blast! Keep us posted as to how it goes! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

Hi, thanks to you all......so many suggestions.........wow

It's the case that I can get a S6 (almost fully outfitted) for 300 Eur only........and for I'm getting tired of my Delirious (too slow for whitewhater and as a playboat it doesn't move no matter what I do), it's time for a better ride.

As far as I am concerned, I'm an absolute beginner in the playboat..
riding the waschmaschine is fun, but I can't control what the canoe is doing.......my first trys in there were ....ahm....fun,but especially the onlookers must have had a laugh :).so I can't do fancy moves or tell wether a canoe is good for playing or not, but it should work for hole and wave alike.....

@liskahon: I'll be at the world cup as a helper........I'm not good enough to qualify for this competition I think, nor can I for prague.........but in some years, maybe as a competitor, too
But I'm looking forward to meeting you guys

@ bushpaddler: the twintip.....I think I know that one.....but the CuFly is this open boat? Then it's no option, I'd prefer a decked one for freestyle ......when it comes to bentshaft, did I tell you about my book, "canoe racing" ? It helped me a lot with learning this technique, you can buy it at helmi sports, or I can borrow you mine........give me your postal adress, I can send you the book
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

No need to qualify! There are no limits for the number of paddlers from each country... as far as I know.

The S6 190 would be a balanced playboat you are looking for but it wont be any easier to cartwheel than the Delirious... It would be quite harder... S6 is more or less a modern playboat... you can do loops in S6 but it is harder and less balanced for cartwheeling....
Waschmachine is fun but definitely not a spot for beginners... My first rides in that hole at the 2006 EC were way too bad...

Hope to see you competing in the events...
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

Hey, liskahon!

Thanks for this C1 lady article!!!!!
Yahooooo, this could have just been me there-------sitting in the C1 with all the kayaking guys lauhging ("girl and C1? no way!!! get a right boat, a kayak"!!!!was one of the most frequent comments) and no one understanding how much more fascination, challenge and fun it is!

Hm, no qualification needed? If I'll have the time, maybe I'll compete in Augsburg (Prague's too costly to get there)----at least then you'll have a clown there :wink:

Another question about S6: Why is it harder to cartwheel? It has less volume than the Delirious, is it because of the rocker?
A friend of mine said that, and that it would be too slow to catch a wave, because of that...........though, it felt uqite ok the first time riding it

with the delirious I don't know why it never worked , maybe my technique is too bad or/and I'm too weak to move it...so actually any shorter and less voluminous canoe should work better?

@ all
By the way: if anyone's interested in getting my Delirious, mail me, it's for sale now !!!!
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

Hi Sabrina,

check also this nice blog of a racing girl: http://lauraegerdal.blogspot.com/

she began with some playboating too

Cheers

Frank
imagine
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

Re Cartwheelig...
The S6 is one of the first boats designed for loops... so it is the bulk of volume around the cockpit that is the problem while cartwheeling. Longer boats with even volume distribution like Delirious should be easier to cartwheel... but mind you not many girls can comfortably flat cartwheel even in a kayak... In a hole with proper technique it s quite easy

The S6 would be good but it has its limits....
If I would evaluate the three boats that we discuss here it would be like this: 1-worst 10-best
Cartwheeling / Looping / Wave performance / Wave aerial performance

Delirious- 9/1/4/3
Twintip XS- 5/9/5/5
S6- 6/7/6/6
Project45- 4/8/8/8

If you go for the S6 you should check if the outfitting is right... Most C1s have the saddle too much to the back for playboating...