thoughts on the Nitro as a 1st boat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

wannabee

thoughts on the Nitro as a 1st boat?

Post by wannabee »

Hey everyone, I want to know what you think of the Nitro as a 1st boat. I paddle a 10ft raft but it can be tuff finding an R2 partner at times. My main goal is to have something to use to goof off on small 2/3 stuff. I'm 5'11" and usually 230lbs.
thanks
awelch
Pain Boater

Nitro 1st

Post by awelch »

The Nitro was my first boat. I am 6' and 270. I thought it was a good 1st boat. Perhaps a little small for me for a 1st boat but I don't think it held me back at all and now that I am becoming more of an intermediate paddler it is perfect for me. I just got my first combat roll in a river play situation on Monday. I will have been paddling it for a year in April. I would say it is a first boat you can grow into. It will probably be better for you because you are a little lighter than me but was still really stable even for me.

Andy
philinasheville
C Guru

Nitro

Post by philinasheville »

The Nitro will be a good first boat for you.
wannabee

Post by wannabee »

So....your avatar isn't an indication of its stability? :D
Seriously, thanks for the input. I did notice in searching the archives that there are several people who paddle a Nitro at heavier weights than me, and find it to still work for them.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I'm 6'7" around 240. I have paddled the Nitro, it is a good boat for the Plus Sized Paddler. It will be my boat when I wear out all the Encores in the Southeast.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Another vote for the Nitro

I'm 235lbs and am in the process of rigging my new one.

Although the Nitro is short, she has lots of volume and will carry the heavier weight. She's also predictable and comfortable, perfect qualities for a first boat.
awelch
Pain Boater

Ha Ha!

Post by awelch »

No, that is an indication of my paddling skills.

I am not a "dry" boater I try to push myself to get better; whenever I can I opt for the most difficult lines and try to make the hardest moves I can find. As long as there are no consequences down stream I don't mind swimming. That way I can feel what I might do differently to get it right next time.

I have been working on a combat roll so I don't have to swim quite so much though. I imagine if I wanted to play it safe I could run dry most of the time but I don't feel like I would learn as much or that it would be as fun! I am still a confident class II+ boater but I am trying to start running more III.

Andy
wannabee

Post by wannabee »

awelch, sorry if i offended you. meant it as a joke, which is why I used a :D , I'm by no means questioning your abilities. your input is very helpful.
thanks everyone for the speedy responses. sounds perfect for me. one of the main creeks i would be paddling with it is the elkhorn in ky......for now
awelch
Pain Boater

No Offense Taken

Post by awelch »

No offense taken. I put that picture up as a joke.