Lap Belt or Thigh Brace for C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Lap Belt or Thigh Straps for C1?

Lap Belt.
5%
Thigh Straps
10%
Bulkhead/Lap Belt
30%
Bulkhead/Thigh Braces
50%
Just Bulkhead, Im a rolling/outfitting/just plain god, I don't need either.
5%

Total votes: 20

msims
CBoats Addict

Lap Belt or Thigh Brace for C1

Post by msims »

Hey there pollers.

Lots of talk about lap belts these days. I'm more interested in C1.

What do peeps do here? What's popular? Why/Why not?

I'm planning to put the lap belt in with a quick release VW beetle steel buckle. Mainly because 1) I've never gotten thigh straps to work well 2) I have a spare one.

Thanks, Mike.
________
H ENGINE
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I like the bulkhead/lap-belt combo.

If you swim much you probably don't want a lap-belt. They are great at holding you in the boat, but they do that wether you want them to or not :-?

One geeky tip: Decide which hand will hold your paddle when you swim. Then set the cam-buckle where it will be easy to pull w/ the opposite hand. ie: I hold the paddle w/ my shaft hand (right) when I swim. I pull the skirt, reach under & pull the buckle w/ my left hand. So I have the buckle right of center & I pull from right to left to release it.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I like double thigh straps the best. Thickness of clothing winter to summer does not make a difference as it might with a bulkhead. I currently use 2" webbing and fastex buckles on the lower one and Brown Pack straps on the thighs. That said, I'm currently doing a "Y" convrsion and first run will be a bulkhead and Brown Pack straps because I liked the looks of Bernie's set up.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I don't use either. Bare Bones, no outfitting, I'm a rolling god.
but the bilkhead/straps work as well, foot pads are increasingly important... to stop you from sliding back out of the outfitting.
skaal
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

in any case I think it`s great to open up the skirt and the thigh braces or lapbelt or whatever in one.
(picture of Raphaels Habitat without the seat)

Last edited by fez on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
imagine
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Foot Pads? Is that the same as toe blocks? How are you making them so that you don't feel/get trapped?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I can't decide, so I have some of each. A Score with bulkhead (adjustable) + thigh straps, a Rockit with double straps, a Slasher with just a bulkhead, a Maverick with just a single strap, a Zephyr with just a bulkhead, an ME with double straps, but nothing with a lap belt... I tried it once, might try it again.
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

sbroam wrote:...Slasher with just a bulkhead...
Got any pics of the Slasher with just a bulkhead? I've got a Slasher with some outfitting issues and could use a little inspiration.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

kneeler wrote:
sbroam wrote:...Slasher with just a bulkhead...
Got any pics of the Slasher with just a bulkhead? I've got a Slasher with some outfitting issues and could use a little inspiration.
It's the original Slasher factory bulkhead - I think the last ones had the same outfitting the Gyramax had. I never could get comfortable on the factory pedestal, I fabbed up one of my own. I'll get some pictures up in a bit. They'll be here :

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam/CanoeOutfitting
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

Cheajack,
I do toe blocks/foot pads so the contour of the top of my foot is mirrored in the foam, and a toe block so my foot wont slide back any farther than it is when I am fully into the outfitting, so I slide over it to get in, and then sink in when I am down on my stupidly low saddle.
getting out will probably be slow, but so it goes. I hope to not be swimming from the slalom boat too much, save for when paddles break...
skaal
-isaac
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I indicated bulkhead/thigh braces as that is what I'm using now, but I used to get by with bulkhead only when my wife and I raced C-2M slalom. I used the end of the stern wall as my toe blocks for both feet as the C-2 is outfitted with a hanging seat that, unlike pedestals, allows you to put your legs underneath you.

John
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

matt taylor also had a similar set up to what you are talking about john, in the olympic boat from 04, there were no straps, but a well shaved saddle with foot room below, and a bulkhead with shin support.
cheers
-isaac
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Does anyone know a current source for old style Perception toe blocks for OC-1?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

In all honesty... I have absolutley no outfitting what'so'ever of any kind in any of my boats. I flip over and the boat just clings to me for dear life. :lol:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I realized a long time ago that just as important as outfitting was an actual commitment to staying in the boat. When I developed that, it was amazing how much better even sloppy outfitting would work! Without it, even great outfitting can fail... Personally, I end up with a slightly loose set up for comfort that I "cling to for dear life" (sort of) when I need to. That also means that when my commitment to staying in the boat wavers, well, then I can blame the outfitting :lol:

Note : Craig's post was funnier.