Downriver race...which boat to use...opinions wanted!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Downriver race...which boat to use...opinions wanted!

Post by Sir Adam »

This Sunday I'll be racing as usual in the Hudson River Whitewater Derby.

In years past I've terrified myself by paddling my Ace III...which is no longer in the collection (Hope you're enjoying it Jim!). As I've paddled the "new" Wildwater C1, a Bala, once, today, I'm not going to use it in the Derby. I think I will end up being MUCH more comfortable in it long term, but I also don't want to trash it (yet), and that could easily happen on Sunday (not enough boat time+waves / holes / rocks...not to mention wind...).

So, what boat to paddle. I've looked at the "collection", and these look like the best bets (it is a downriver race on Sunday...the Slalom on Saturday I'll be in the Fanatic II)
-Fanatic II (used it before, yes, it does make 7 miles kind of long)
-Descender (a bit more rocker than I'd like, really)
-Hahn (more width, and rocker than I'd like...but it was made in Riparius where the race ends, and another fellow (likely my only "competition" will be in a Berrigan)
-Sage (likely the only time I'd use it in whitewater, and though it's plastic, it's long and has little rocker).

There are others I've discounted already...the Gyramax, Centaur, Cascade, Hornet, Blackwater, and Magnet.

Thoughts? Opinions? Other than just risk destroying the Bala?
Keep the C!
Adam
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I always say why have it if your not going to use it. Once you put the first scratch (or hole) in it it becomes less painful thereafter.
2 cents
B
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

While I haven't paddled Hudson, nor any of the boats on your short list, I'd say go with the Bala, it'll be the fastest. Since you don't have the time in it that you want, I'd probably lean towards the Fanatic II. If it's uncomfortable, just paddle faster :wink:
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

the issue with the Bala is the layup...if I swim, the boat may be destroyed beyond repair. Now I don't usually swim...but at the forecast level, and in a boat I'm not used to, I'm much more likely too. If it was actually, say, STABLE, then I wouldn't think twice about it. BUT, as it's a WildWater boat, it's less stable than eveything this side of a high kneel flatwater sprint boat :wink:

I'm leaning toward the Fanatic as well...but I know it's certainly not the fastest.
Keep the C!
Adam
edg
C Guru

Boat choice

Post by edg »

Pure speculation, but I'd go Hahn- looks like its got a longish water line, and higher colume than the fanatic. For what its worth, ww boats survive pretty well IF stuffed with floatation. On the other hand they are the only boats I've repeatedly seen TOTALLY destroyed on the river- 3 in person, 1 on video...edg
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I couldn't find the downriver race distance. For the shorter distance, personally, I would use the Fanatic 2; for longer distances, me thinks the Hahn would be the better choice (less effort balancing means more effort for forward paddling). Could I be wrong? :D

I've used the Maverick slalom boat at the Cheat downriver race, which is about 10 miles of class 2-4 stuff (river level depending, of course). I like it because it's a straighter, faster hull (also not a great pivoting boat). Have a great time at the races and keep us up-to-date.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Race is 7 miles. Winning time this year will likely be 50 minutes or so. Other years it's been 1:20 (yes, that's an hour and twenty minutes...).

Perhaps I'll do a little timed test around the island tomorrow if I can find the time...hahn vs fanatic:).

I'm actually really looking forward to spending some quality time in the Bala this summer...training and swimming out of it:). After that I should be good to go....
Keep the C!
Adam
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Adam:

One would think that the Hahn would be more comfortable and more stable given its greater width and volume, but that the width would also work against it being faster. The volume probably only matters if you go crashing through the teeth of the biggest waves and holes, which isn't typically the fastest line in wildwater.

My money would be on the Fanatic II. I recall having paddled a Sweet-Hahn as my first C-1 and remember having trouble getting used to the roly-poly hull after racing slalom C-2 in a pancake hull. The extra width along with that "rolliness" might give the Fanatic the edge, particularly if you are already familiar with it and with pancake hulls in general from squirt boats.

A test of the Hahn and the Fanatic II is a good call and should give you a read on the best choice.

John