Paddle Choices

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Paddle Choices

Post by fleckbass »

I'm looking for a new padddle to use for an OC-1. At this point, I'm leaning towards something that is not spooned. This reason why is I switch hands and think it will be awkward. I'm not sure if this will be the case or not. I currently have a Werner Nantahala 56" I'm not happy with the flutter and I may need to go up in lenght also. Any thoughts here? I would like to have some durability also. I can be tough on the blade at times. This paddle will basically be used for river running, mostly medium to small voulme. For example, Lower Yough or smaller sized streams.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

wood shaft with a carbon covered curved blade... as long as you are paddling forward you should have no issues as that's what 99% of us are using. when are you getting this supposed "flutter"?

clinch river or mitchell are my weapons of choice
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Flutter

Post by fleckbass »

Paddle dances from side to side during forward stroke.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I have a few different sticks you can check out. Most are spooned and mostly composite and wood mixes.
Might be worth while hooking up to check them out. Just let me know when you are about.
Where is your hand placement when the fluttering occurs? Try moving lower hand down an inch or so. Just a thought!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

"....dances from side to side"?
Maybe the blade is too wide?
JK
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Replies

Post by fleckbass »

From what I am gathering here. I should look for a spooned blade that is made from wood but covered with carbon. Shaft should be wood. I looked on Mitchell's site and saw a paddle like this. Any other manufacturer recommendations? Also, can anyone comment on length? PAC, I will most likely be at the North Branch this weekend. I noticed you are from Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if I know you or not. I can try to lower my bottom hand and see what happens. Don't think the blade is too wide. Maybe the transistion area below the throat isn't flat enough.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

fleckbass since you will be at the Armada just bug everyone you see to try their paddle (explain your current "issue") and you will have more info than you can process. :wink:
In the past we have stopped at Keith Blachland's maker of very fine paddles (wood, wood and fiber, and even bent shafts - http://worldkayakblogs.com/billsblog/20 ... nd-paddle/). If you have interest he might be talked into opening up on Sunday for you. He is sort of on the way home from NBofP to the Burgh. We are also stopping at Jim Snyder's on Friday - another artistian when it comes to making wood paddles (check out http://www.jimisnyder.com worth just reading the site for information for a zen master). Walt J. (polar paddles - some video http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?titl ... =824009768 ) in Friendsville also makes a very nice stick (sbroam will be at the Armada and will be picking up some repaired sticks from him I beleive).
Everyone has preferences - some like spoon others hate them. Some like all glass others are fond of nothing but wood! Demo, demo, demo! 8) Find what you like then make it yours! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Length

Post by fleckbass »

Anyone want to comment on length?
Jim P
C Guru

Length

Post by Jim P »

Bruce,

Length is a rather subjective subject. Run some searches on this site, there have been several discussions in the past.

I will pack a Jimi stick for the weekend you are welcome to try. IMHO, the least flutter you can get in any situation.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

i believe that kayak paddles are spoons, while canoe paddles are curves
raven3693
c

Paddles

Post by raven3693 »

Just don't waste your money on a Galasport. I bought their "creeking" paddle used it less then 6 months and the shaft broke

I did contact Mitchell and they wrote this

I can understand, but I can also assure you that one of our
paddles, if properly maintained, will last much longer than six months.
Because of the nature of the paddle and the wood core, we can maintain
paddles for many, many years. Because the wood core is so stable, we
are able to replace the aluminum tips easily when they wear out (which
they will), we can replace edged, or we can completely strip the carbon,
edges, tips and rebuild the entire blade back to a new condition. Even
if you break the blade in half, it can usually be put back together.
This is one of the major advantages that we have over many other
companies, many of which will not do work on their own product, let
alone other manufactures products. The initial investment many be a
little higher, but the longevity of the product will offset that in the
long run.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Re: Paddles

Post by oopsiflipped »

[quote="raven3693"]Just don't waste your money on a Galasport. I bought their "creeking" paddle used it less then 6 months and the shaft broke
[quote]

I have been extremely happy with my Galasport. It has held up to alot of creeking in TN and banging down the cement ditch in Charlotte. It seems ok in big water, too. That being said it may break or be lost tomorrow, but so far so good.
edg
C Guru

Paddle Choices

Post by edg »

Another good point about Mitchell is that they can and will do custom work. My "race" paddle is a discontinued Gala blade- very light, very thin, very fragile. I once snapped one and had to run this rapid with half a blade: http://www.doubledutchuk.com/
It was traumatic. I had Mitchell copy the shape, but with their carbon over wood construction- a bit thicker, a bit heavier, but very durable, and comforting in bigger water. Not sponsored or affiliated, but they''ve always been good to me and its nice to support domestic production...edg
beereddy
C Guru

Re: Paddles

Post by beereddy »

I have been extremely happy with my Galasport. It has held up to alot of creeking in TN and banging down the cement ditch in Charlotte. It seems ok in big water, too. That being said it may break or be lost tomorrow, but so far so good.[/quote]

I agree!
Last edited by beereddy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Most likely I am not a good example, but last year I broke a two Double Dutchs (blade on both) and two Mitchells (blade and neck). Before this, I was fed up with Galasports because they broke way too easy. About the longest lasting thing out there for me right now is a paddle out of Poland, GPower. This is what I am currently using.

Granted, it should be understood I train full time on the Charlotte course. River running puts a very different type of stress on a blade than slalom training on artificial whitewater.

For just everyday use, the best I've found is a well built wood paddle. I was never able to break my old Silvercreek, and I whaled on that paddle. It got me down some of the gnarliest creeks anywhere. There was more than one occasion where I was watching the whole paddle flex...A LOT, and never even so much as showed a stress fracture.

Now it is in the hands of a Venezuelan C1 racer who was here at Pan Am's. He broke two paddles in three days when he first got here. After getting his hands on that paddle, he didn't want to let it go.

For a general use recreational paddle, my next stick is going to come from Pothole Paddles. A raft guide from the Chattooga lives just into South Carolina off of 76 and builds some of the best wood paddles I've seen anywhere. His craftsmanship is impeccable. Not only are they beautiful, as a paddler who paddles hard himself, he builds solid paddles which can be used hard.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London