Newbie C-1 Questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MarkE
c

Newbie C-1 Questions

Post by MarkE »

Hi,

I'm new to the site (just registered) but I've spent a fair amount of time searching old posts so I apologize if some of this has been discussed before. I'm new, or will be new, to C-1. I've been paddling K-1 for the last 3+ years. I have a Large Flirt that I will be converting soon and I have a pretty good idea about how I want to outfit it. I have two questions:

1. I plan on going with thigh straps only, at first, then maybe adding a bulkhead later and then possibly a lap belt as I progress, if necessary. Is this a good approach? I paddle 3 -4 days a week, often by myself, and I'm kind of paranoid about getting stuck in my boat so safety is my main outfitting concern right now. By the way, is this an unfounded fear about C-1s or is there some truth to this, getting trapped in your boat, that is?

2. This is stupid. I'm 6'2" with relatively proportioned arms. What length paddle do I need?

If you have outfitted a Fluid Flirt, I'm interested in hearing how you did it. If you have pictures, even better.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark Engel
Washington, D.C.
bellotti
c

Post by bellotti »

I'm no help since I'm a newbie also, but I can tell you that there are 2 entries for the large flirt in the museum. Just follow the link on the main page and look under C1 conversions.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Always make sure you can still wet exit your boat after any outfitting change. Also, lap belts are not a good idea for beginners, IMO. they are somewhat nerve wracking if you think you might swim. ok for park and play for some people, but I'm taking mine out of my crazy 88...maybe...

paddle length...good luck!
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

I'm about your size and I use a 58" paddle. I would say start with a 56" or 58" paddle and see how that feels.

I think your plan to start with thigh straps is a good one. You may quickly choose to add a bulkhead simply because of how much you will still be able to move around inside the boat with thigh straps. A wet exit with a bulkhead does not have to be difficult at all. When installing thigh straps, try to get them to cross your thighs as high up as possible. They will still be easy to exit.

One piece of unsolicited advice is to go with a nice wide stance by pushing your knees out as far to the sides of the hull as you can. This will give you extra stability and make it easier to roll.

Good luck.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I paddle a large Flirt and I'm 68" tall. I use a 58" paddle for river running in deep water.

You can go from offside to on without lifting the paddle out of the water in this short of boat. In an OC-1, I prefer 56" to make the change from off to on easier.

For playing, I'd think I'd want to go shorter in the Flirt to make it faster to change sides.
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

Riverruning-longer paddle smaller blade
Freestyle- short paddle larger blade

Outfitting-
The safest way is quick release lapbelt + bulkhead tunnels + adjustable backrest
see http://c1freestyle.blogspot.com/2007/06 ... tting.html