new boat questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mtnfir
c

new boat questions

Post by mtnfir »

Hey all, I just picked up my new (used) outrage x and have a few questions. First, the thigh strap was attached poorly and came undone. It looks like they used weldwood contact cement. THere is quite a bit of residue left on both the vinyl and the boat. What is the best way to get it off without damaging the boat? Secondly, what is the boat made of ? The website doesn't specify and the link for the owners manual doesn't work. ONce I get the weldwood gunk off, what is the best adhesive? Lastly, the boat has wood gunnels, I recall reading somewhere that special care needs to be taken if the boat is stored outside in sub zero temp, what is the special care?
thanks in advance
Carl
Carl
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Your boat is Royalex--ABS plastic sandwiched between vinyl layers.

Contact cement is not the right glue for attaching the usual vinyl pads used to hold down thigh straps. To glue vinyl to vinyl you want Vinylbond.

Removing contact cement is not easy. You have to be very careful not to penetrate the vinyl layer and expose the ABS. You can't glue vinyl to ABS with Vinylbond--it will eat the plastic. Very bad.

I've removed contact cement with careful sanding with a fine grit sandpaper. Perhaps somebody has a better suggestion.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

It's a Royalex or "ABS" boat, with vinyl skin to protect the ABS layers from UV sun damage.

I would advise trying to remove that adhesive by careful scraping, because you really don't want to cut or scrape through the vinyl skin. The reason is that if you use Vynabond or a similar cement to bond D-rings to the hull, then you do NOT want the Vynabond solvent getting at the undelying ABS structural layer. This can reportedly cause hull softening, although I have not seen it happen myself, and so regard it as a suburban legend.

An alternative is to use another adhesive. 3M Structural Adhesive is a 2-part urethane adhesive that might remain flexible enough. A new possibility is the new flexible West epoxy, but that would cost you more than the 3M. Maybe some others will have suggestions.

I have the longer, similar Mad River Synergy, and I avoided the "need" for thigh strap D-rings by using the center thwart (padded) to hold my thighs down. But then, I don't roll open boats, only c-1s, so I don't feel the need for thigh straps.
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

I recently outfitted my new outrage, for d-rings I used "vinyl adhesive" same lookin tube and sold in boat shops but not vynabond, I think it may be the same stuff. Anyway, It worked great and is strong. I was sure to use the same careful application methods as using vynabond, which are explained in detail in other threads here (search forums for vynabond or MeK). Its been over six months and no softening or hull damage.

Whatever you choose I recomend you search this forum for specific application instructions instead of instructions on the tube or bottle as they are sometimes different as I found out, luckily with no damage. good luck, I love my Outrage.
jnorto01
C Guru

removing contact cement residue

Post by jnorto01 »

What you want to get rid of the contact cement residue is Kleen-Strip brand Prep-All or similar auto body prep solvent. Auto paint shops use this stuff to degrease and clean cars prior to painting. These solvents dissolve grease, wax and adhesive residue and will not hurt plastic or painted surfaces. I have used it to clean up multiple Royalex boats while re-doing the outfitting. You will need to get it from a professional auto body supply shop or go beg at a body shop. It will probably run about $15 for a gallon. Jim
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Goof-Off will remove residue, without harming the boat.
Apply and allow it to soften the old glue; then remove with a plastic scrapper or spatula. A putty knife can be used, but be careful not to cut vinyl. Better yet, a putty knife with rounded corners.
dance for rain
Jim P
C Guru

Vynabond on ABS

Post by Jim P »

I would say its an urban myth that VB will ruin ABS. I've glued vinyl patches direct to ABS where the old vinyl layer had come off with no ill effects. Also used it to glue drings to pelican boxes - (ABS) and to glue to Bilge pump housings, also ABS.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The easiest way to remove Weldwood contact cement from either plastic or ABS is to cover the area with a paper towel wetted with mineral spirits making sure that all the glue is wetted down. Leave it over night and most of it will wipe off with the paper towel in the morning. The glue that is still attached will scrape off easily. I use a wooden spoon. Wash the area with soap and water and let dry before reapplying any other adhesive.
mtnfir
c

Post by mtnfir »

youse guys rule. thanks for the helpful hints. I've got some goof off from previous f-ups so I think I will use that.
thanks
Carl