Remix 69 C-1 outfitted and reviewed

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bahndo
c

Remix 69 C-1 outfitted and reviewed

Post by Bahndo »

Thought I should post something over here about my new boat, the review is here:
http://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/phpbb/ ... ?p=731#731
and pic's of outfitting here:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii66 ... utfitting/

Hope this helps anyone at all, I like it so far and the boats kicks major butt.
-Bahndo
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Ryan

Post by jim gross »

I read where you cracked the composite box beam off sunshine. What if you tried a large pvc pipe like 4" to build off of? You could cut with your holesaw through 3" foam to slide a sleave around your tube. I am sure a little foam will help absorb impacts. You could also laminate pvc boards side by side with a sandwich of composite material inbetween to get the smaller dimensions you want. Say 2 1x3 pices PVC board(homedepo or loews) and layup say 6 layers of composite in the sandwich. Drill as many 1" holes you want running the length for cross drainage and adjustability for saddle parts. I also did a pinned saddle in one of my one offs as it had convertible outfitting( like 2 minutes from C boat to kayak) but as a Cboat I found that since my pins were also running through my thigh spreads , they would irritate my inner knee area. Wasn't gonna fall asleep when I was on the river with that boat. HAHAHA Good luck on the green race/

JIM
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Looks interesting. I'm getting ready to do a Jefe Grande (I know most of the best c1ers on the board have gone for the remix, but I love my big round hulls!) when it arrives next month. Why not use the structural rail that come with the boat? Is it not possible to anchor your straps to that? Doesn't work with the pin system? I'm hard on gear and have thought about using PVC pipe pins before, but have concerns that it might tear the foam.

Also, I'd like to know more about the straps. I see you cut a backband in half. Can you wet exit without loosening them? Anyone else use a backband to make two ratcheting strap? it seems like a cool idea.

Thanks!
Bahndo
c

Re: Ryan

Post by Bahndo »

jim gross wrote:I read where you cracked the composite box beam off sunshine. What if you tried a large pvc pipe like 4" to build off of? You could cut with your holesaw through 3" foam to slide a sleave around your tube. I am sure a little foam will help absorb impacts. You could also laminate pvc boards side by side with a sandwich of composite material inbetween to get the smaller dimensions you want. Say 2 1x3 pices PVC board(homedepo or loews) and layup say 6 layers of composite in the sandwich.
I like the idea but if I'm going to go with composites I think it would be better to start off with a lighter core material, the 4x4 sleeve is pretty heavy. My new plan is to make a mold of the shape I want to use and make the structural support using composites. I will post more on that later, right now I have to start driving South!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Ryan

Post by Craig Smerda »

jim gross wrote:I read where you cracked the composite box beam off sunshine. What if you tried a large pvc pipe like 4" to build off of? You could cut with your holesaw through 3" foam to slide a sleave around your tube. I am sure a little foam will help absorb impacts. You could also laminate pvc boards side by side with a sandwich of composite material inbetween to get the smaller dimensions you want. Say 2 1x3 pices PVC board(homedepo or loews) and layup say 6 layers of composite in the sandwich. Drill as many 1" holes you want running the length for cross drainage and adjustability for saddle parts. I also did a pinned saddle in one of my one offs as it had convertible outfitting( like 2 minutes from C boat to kayak) but as a Cboat I found that since my pins were also running through my thigh spreads , they would irritate my inner knee area. Wasn't gonna fall asleep when I was on the river with that boat. HAHAHA Good luck on the green race/

JIM
one piece minicell spine with a bulkhead and wrap around hip grabbers... it's good to own a bandsaw. :wink:

here's one i rough cut recently for eli...

(if anyone wants more images i can post them later from home)
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

This is the conversion of a 69 of a friend of mine made of aluminium 4x4. Lightwight and unbreakable. These green aluminium things that come with the boat make perfect hipgrabbers

I converted a 59 with a carbonfiber-backbone (that i once build for a Nomad) that fitted in with some smaller changes:

This backbone is made of carbonfiber laminated on styrodur foam, a very light and easy to sand foam. I changed the form to fit in perfectly into the hull of the 59.
imagine
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

looks good. I like that backbone style setup. And I've been eyeing those boats too.
..but, and I've been a carpenter for 25 years so I know this stuff ..... that beam you started with would work great if you didn't drill the holy crap out of it. There's nothing left of it man!
Smaller holes, farther apart. We're talking about less than the weight of a power bar here! jeez..slalom ninnies :wink:

... since you want access to the bow, ever think about another set of straps for your knees instead of a bulkhead? I use snowboard straps.. it is very secure, fully adjustable for different seasons (clothing), no hassle because they're stiff enought to just BE there, and they don't block access to the bow for gear. That's the sweet setup. :wink:
Larry
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Band saw

Post by jim gross »

I too loved my small band saw for cuting foam. was a beautifull thing. Cuts down on dragon skin bits and that grey crapola that just sticks to ya in summer. Ryan is right though. The loews beam is heavy material. It has an automated manufacturing process and resulting in a very heavy product. Alot better options if you can be creative. JIM
Bahndo
c

Post by Bahndo »

Well with a hades of a lot of driving, little sleep, and some good racing I am back home in DC. I love the pic's and ideas everyone is throwing up here. Fez- the aluminum setup looks good, I originally was going to use aluminum for the center spine but opted out because of price and believe it or not weight. I was re-thinking after the failure of the fiber beam but the TIG welder is in the shop for god knows how long :roll: . I also like the carbon spine that you are using. I am thinking that that is the way to go so my plan is to make a form out of wood and putty and then vacuum bag a composite piece to the form. The first one might be kevlar b/c that's what I happen to have laying around. I'll try to post up progress as I go, depends on how much stopping and taking pic's I am in the mood for.
Bahndo
c

Post by Bahndo »

Larry Horne wrote:looks good. I like that backbone style setup. And I've been eyeing those boats too.
..but, and I've been a carpenter for 25 years so I know this stuff ..... that beam you started with would work great if you didn't drill the holy crap out of it. There's nothing left of it man!
Smaller holes, farther apart. We're talking about less than the weight of a power bar here! jeez..slalom ninnies :wink:
I weighed all the disks that I cut out at the end and they totaled up to just shy of 5 lbs. Now I admit that doesn't sound like very much weight but if the boat weighs 35 lbs. then that is a a weight savings of 14%. I also freely admit that paddling slalom boats forever has skewed my view a bit but it is a whole lot easier to maneuver a light boat. My race boats would weigh around 20 lbs outfitted when new, if I paddled it without adding weight I would always be bummed with how sluggish it felt once I had to add weight (2lbs) to race. Again I freely admit that I am a slalom ninny but a boat performs better if there is less weight in it. Just my $.02...

BTW- I would also recommend avoiding 5lbs. powerbars :o
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

Hi Bahndo,

some more different outfitting pictures of boats of friends you can see here, maybe they are from interest for you too (only in german but the pictures need no words):
http://www.riverrunner.de/?page_id=148

Do you have some pictures of you racing with the 69 ? Would be glad to see them! :D
imagine
Bahndo
c

Post by Bahndo »

Here is a pic from the lvm website,
BTW-I like all the outfitting ideas on that German site,
Thanks,
Bahndo

http://downstreammedia.net/lvmtv/photo/GS_bahn.png
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

fez wrote:Hi Bahndo,

some more different outfitting pictures of boats of friends you can see here, maybe they are from interest for you too (only in german but the pictures need no words):
http://www.riverrunner.de/?page_id=148

Do you have some pictures of you racing with the 69 ? Would be glad to see them! :D
You can google the site and then read a very poorly translated version that way.

Larry - i tried to PM you. Don't think it went through my email is my username on here @yahoo.com

Thanks!

New boat should be here today!!!!!!
Kelvin
C Guru

Remix in action!

Post by Kelvin »

Hi folks,
Quick shot of my remix in action!
Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fez
CBoats Addict