Pics of squirt boats practicing for Jimi Cup

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Pics of squirt boats practicing for Jimi Cup

Post by cmnypny »

I was only there for about an hour or so before doing a carnage run thru Phil's Hole for Martin.

I ended up doing a pretty cool ender.

I am still awaiting the video footage.

Not sure why people want to paddle a submarine but I manage to get some great shots.

Even Martin in his new C1 squirt boat.

The rest of the pics are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/se ... 407300934/
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Nice shots! How many folks tried the Ceemweaver?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Jeremy Lauks and Ian Thompson tried the Ceemweaver.
Ian was absolutely phenomenal in the boat, particularly consideriong that the outfitting was so loose on him.
He even won the Canadian Squirt Team Trials (held right after JimiCup in it!!!
I have some footage of his team trials flatwater sequence , I'll put it on youtube later this week.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Way cool! We look forward to the video.

Martin - how did YOU do? What do you think of your new ride? 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Well, I did not enter the Team trials.
And in the JimiCup competition I had a firm grip on the bottom of the standings, with a cumulative down-time of 0 seconds :roll: ... The winning cumulative down-time of 5 tries was ~ 107 seconds!!!
I loved to play with the boat in the flats, it's so easy to theow around and contro;l while doing so, but quite frankly, venturing into the current with the outfitting as it was was a bit scary, as I had a hard time staying in when I was in the whirlpools, and trust me, the ledge trhat lurks below if you don't make it back into the eddy, as Sattlers, are places where I do NOT want to swim!!
So after a few hairy tries, I put it away and used the Acrobat for the competition.
But Ian gave me a few great tips on how outfit the boat. I drove all over the city today after work, getting the various parts and then tomorrow is going to be build time!
I will be backl there either this or next weekend!!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Nate
C Guru

An experience regarding the C-Squirt community.

Post by Nate »

So I have a short story that I think is an excellent demonstration of the generosity and selflessness of the c-boating community--and yes, it is related to squirt boats, that's the only reason I'm posting it here.

This past Sunday I went to run the Mongaup--an easy class II+ river in southern New York that flows into the Delaware just above Port Jervis.
While sitting around at the takeout/appointed meeting place, a car drove in with a bunch of boats on the top, and one black composite boat, caught my eye. A minute later, the driver rolled down his window and called to the whole parking lot "Anyone want a free boat? I've got a boat I'm trying to unload"
When he passed by the group I was with, he saw my race boat sitting next to me and said something along the lines of "come over here for a minute, I want you to look at something."
So I went over, talked to him for a few minutes, and the next thing I knew I was walking away carrying an all black master-cut acrobat with a skirt. I had never seen the man before in my life and he had just handed me a free boat in more than decent condition. Too cool!

Nate
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Very nice Nate. I'm assuming it will be with you at Riversport... correct? :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

We'll see, Paul. We'll see.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Congratulations, Nate. Did this person possibly have a white beard, a corncob pipe, and say, "Ho, Ho, Ho!" alot?

John
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: An experience regarding the C-Squirt community.

Post by Mike W. »

Nate wrote:next thing I knew I was walking away carrying an all black master-cut acrobat with a skirt. I had never seen the man before in my life and he had just handed me a free boat in more than decent condition. Too cool!

Nate
:o I had to run out & be sure that MY black master cut Acrobat was still here! Oh wait, you said "in more than decent condition" That counts mine out :lol: What an awesome story. Think deep thoughts & enjoy the boat!
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Ha ha ha. We were joking that I was going to go home and see posts online saying "stolen: black acrobat"

Actually, he did have the white beard, but no pipe or catch-phrases.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

The Ceemweaver is pretty darn fun, though it was way too loose and cut too big for me. The solution would have been to wedge a big rock in between my legs, but I figures that wasn't the best idea. I still managed to get chest deep in it once. It felt like it cartwheeled really well, and it sure looked like it cartwheeled well when Ian was in it. I hope I get to try one out sometime that's a better size for me, I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Jeremy