browsing old post

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kitesurfer
c

browsing old post

Post by kitesurfer »

i've made it back 20 pages so far. researching oc2 outfitting but reading everything else that looks interesting.
so it appears, i will be making my saddles (dagger dimension) out of minicell, 10" wide and 10" high and glueing them in with contact cement.

anchor point for d rings seem to be a problem for various reasons, so i'm thinking making my own anchors using 2" webbing and contact cement .

for the airbags, my research so far is that NOC is the cheapest.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Airbags - check.
Saddle - check.
D-rings - you might research a little more. For a Royalex boat, buy D-rings and use Vynabond. I don't think webbing and contact cement are going to do anything but make you mad. [Not sure about webbing and resin on Royalex.] You could get by with two d-rings (upper anchors attached to the gunwales, one d-ring each for the lowers), an old school, but adequate set up for class II to III-s. For a more custom/tight fit, which you might want in a Dimension, you might need 8 (2 uppers, 2 lowers, times 2).
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

"kitesurfer?"

:-) Where you from? There's a few of us ww paddlers into kiting in ottawa... Itomco, maker of slalom raceboats is the big one here... winds suck this year in otown but i digress....
-- Cya
phreon
CBoats Addict

Mohawk

Post by phreon »

You might want to check out Mohawk Canoe's prices on floatation bags. When I bought mine, they were the best deal going.

Phreon
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Regarding your D rings. Make sure you get stainless steel ones, not chrome plated as they will rust. Especially if you live near salt water. The rust will abrade your thigh straps.

If this is your first Dagger Dimension, you are going to have a lot of fun! We are working on our third Dimension.

Happy paddling,

Carol
kitesurfer
c

Post by kitesurfer »

i live in jacksonville fla and kitesurf in the ocean. have been kitesurfing 10 years--and have not paddled much in ten years:( drive 10 minutes to the beach or drive 8 hours to the mountains.

What I really want to do is use loops of rope, looped through 2" web, and secured to the boat with contact cement. will the contact cement work and not damage the vinyl? i'm thinking cost here and material availability.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

That sounds like what folks do in composite boats, securing the anchors with resin. Resin might work in that application on Royalex, I'm not sure though - resin bonds to vinyl, but usually that is used for repairs or grunch pads, not something with a lot of tension load in one point.

If by "contact cement" you mean the red can Weldwood that works so well for gluing in foam, the a resounding no. It just does not work in tension. I did try that for D-rings on my first boat. Didn't last 5 minutes on the water.

Vynabond works very well, if you got some vinyl material (raft patch?) you might be able to make your own? You might be able to make cord loops through the vinyl?