C1 Slalom Boat Recommendations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

semdoug
Pain Boater

C1 Slalom Boat Recommendations

Post by semdoug »

My search for a used C1 slalom boat in the Pacific Northwest has been greatly unsuccessful. I'm going to give it until late fall/early winter and if I still have no luck it looks like a new boat is in my future, not that that is a bad thing.

A little info about myself. All my C1 experience is old. My last serious time paddling was in 1989 in a Seda Supermax, a boat I really liked. I've also owned two Gyramax(s) that I liked for river running but would probably not purchase again. My interest now is more toward exercise, running some local gates, and a few races.

My goal is to have a slalom boat by this winter to get the outfitting set and to get my roll back during pool sessions before next spring.

Though I have little recent boating experience I've been a long time viewer of this forum and it sounds like from other posts that the Galasport Loco in the basic lay-up may be an option.

So what new slalom boat would you recommend?

In addition to the usual classifieds (Ebay, Craigslist, Club Forums) and the links provided here on CBoats.net, does anyone have other slalom boat purchase sources?

Thanks for your input.

Steve
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

How much do you weigh? That is a factor, too when it comes to choosing a suitable slalom boat, as my experience was that, although there is lots of choice out there for lighter paddlers under ~165-170 lbs, once you get up to 180 and above, there are not many suitable models to choose from out there any more.
I haven't tried out all that many different boats, but I really like my Loco.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
semdoug
Pain Boater

Post by semdoug »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm usually around 170lbs. From the Galasport website it looks like I would be OK at my weight in the Loco. Might be a good time to drop a few pounds anyway.
Bahndo
c

Post by Bahndo »

The Loco would be a good boat for your weight, what is your height? It was designed by Robin Bell and I believe it is the boat that he just got the bronze in at the games. He is a tall guy (maybe 6'2") and I bet weighs in around 175-180 lbs. The other boats available can be sized for you as galasport asks for your height and weight when you order. There is a guy in Ontario that has been making boats over the last couple of years that makes Benn Frakers design which is pretty big. I weigh about 150 lbs and that boat is way to big for me.
Picking a design should also be affected by your skill level as well as what yo want to do with the boat. For example Tony Estanguet also is in your weight range but very few people his size paddle his designs b/c they feel small and unstable. I prefer my boats on the smaller side of things b/c I feel they are easier to throw around if needed. It takes someone with Tony's skill and balance (read: not for most) to paddle his boat well, at least someone his size that is...
If you are just looking to get something to go out on the river with and have fun then design is not crucial. Any of the short boats that are out with the exception of the Jin, Mako (sp), or Martikan's boat should be fine.
Hope this helps and happy paddling,
-Bahndo
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

I have been paddling a Loco for quite awhile now. Very nice and comfortable. Very stable and easy paddle. I have not seen an iMo yet which is the updated version of the Loco. I have let numerous beginners, novices and experts paddle my boat and all are able to jump in and have fun and race right away. My son has a Makao that I cannot say the same for. It is smaller and takes more balance and skill to paddle as Bahndo points out. The Makao is a fast boat and has been campaigned successfully by a lot of people. I would definitely stay away from the Martikan unless you have incredible balance and experience with ultra responsive C-Boats. Vajda Lizard and iTomco Orca and Benn's boat are very good as well. I talked with Benn about his boat and he said there was still room for another cm. of seam line which would make for a big boat indeed.

If you go with the Galasport Flexible layup consider adding a layer or two of carbon to the hull to stiffen it up some more. Add some reinforcing to the stern and bow seams as well. The factory will do this for you.

The $ to Euro rate sucks right now so look out for the hole that is about to be burned in your wallet.

Hope this helps,

Tom
semdoug
Pain Boater

Post by semdoug »

Thanks for the info. I'm 6' and 170 so it sounds like the Loco is a pretty good choice, but I will also investigate the other boats mentioned.

I like the idea of the Itomco boat made in Canada because of the possiblity of reduced shipping costs and it looks like the basic lay-up may be a little better than Galasport's basic Diolen lay-up.

I talked with Jennifer at Davey Hearn's MWP today and it sounds like shipping boats from the earst coast to the west coast is rather ugly these days with high damages and high costs.

Did you guys special order your Locos? How was the time frame from order to delivery and did you get robbed on shipping?

Any chance of some pictures of your boats? Those Galasport pictures on their website are lame.

Thanks
riffc1
c

Post by riffc1 »

I weigh165 and paddle an iTomco Absolute (basic layup). I considered the Galasport imo but went with the iTomco for design, lay-up, and construction.

I bought it for surfing but after about 6-10 times on the water it is now my primary boat.

FWIW, Galasport makes nice boats too.

As a reference point, I've always liked Upstream Edge slalom boats for construction, finish, and durability.

Contact me if you want to see some pictures. Good luck.

Jack
Last edited by riffc1 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Jack, that is so frickin cool that you ordered an iTomco, and a boat that Benn designed, at that.

Which he named after Vodka!
riffc1
c

Post by riffc1 »

Yeah Alden--I might have the first 'civilian' build.

Jack
Last edited by riffc1 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
semdoug
Pain Boater

Post by semdoug »

riffc1,
Thanks for the reply. I talked with iTOMCO last week and liked what I heard. My search for a new boat has been pretty frustrating as many distributors have been reluctant to ship a boat for me to Seattle. Tom was the only one with a positive outlook and said he could get a boat to Vancouver, about 1 1/2 hours from me, for pretty cheap. Unfortunately his prices have gone up $200 but $1400 for the basic lay-up may still be cheaper than a Galasport.

Is the Absolute the boat Benn Fraker paddled in the Olympics?

Yes, please, I would love to see some pictures.

Thanks
Steve
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Benn designed the Absolute last year and raced it this race season.

Then he tweaked that boat and came up with what he raced for the Trials.

Then I believe he tweaked that one and raced still a different design in the Olympics.

But I'm not sure what iTomco bases the Absolute that they sell on.

Tom?
riffc1
c

Post by riffc1 »

Here's a link to some pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jackriff/C1ITomco

Jack
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

yo, from another loco paddler... it's a big boat. if you are 170, you don't need to think of the loco as your only option, you are open to almost the whole vajda line, save the martikan... and every other boat there is basically... if you weighed 170, and were 6, i would look into the yin. the orca, jamie's boat from itomco was a modified lizard 365 which was decent. i fit in one of the full cuts that craig allen had a while ago at 192 i think. if you wanna get into the absolut, then think about losing forward speed. i tried it, fun boat, but it doesn't glide at all, there are a few roaming around the country now, one kid of an NPR guy bought one, and i saw another one. basically the boat benn paddled at trials was a blown up bow, and the blue and purple consecutive ones were the same cut... fun to play in. one thing about that boat is that it's like a martikan, you have to be very good, and be very aware what you are doing with every little part of your body to paddle it well.

the loco from bell is more adaptable to people, granted my style has changed to that a wee-bit closer to bell's as I grew into the same weight category as him in the low 190's, and still have a cut down stern... but realistically, if you weigh 170, don't limit yourself to just the imo (very fun) or the loco...
and if you are in the pnw, contact toby roessingh(google him) for craig allens #, I bet craig has a boat he could sell you, vajda or itomco...
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
semdoug
Pain Boater

Post by semdoug »

Thanks for the info bearboater. I'll try to make that contact you suggested. C1 slalom boats are very rare here in the Seattle area and any leads are always appreciated.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

You could contact someone from the NW Whitewater League, they run the race circuit in the PNW. www.nwwhitewater.org
Good Luck
B