new OC-2

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

David Reid

new OC-2

Post by David Reid »

My name is David Reid out of Ruckersville va.My wife and I are thinking oc -2 she paddled k-1 untail 2years ago at witch time she receaved a super spanking. I have been paddleng a vertige 3yrs. ?100 tripps im a ok class III paddler with no oc roll so whats the big ? YOU SAY. WHAT BOAT? VERTIGE X OR CAPTION NEXUS OR ? Or what.P.S. Im 240Lb lets say she is 125Lb and we are old dogs learning new tricks , thanks David & Joanne. Reid
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

We have a Vertige X and love it. Some friends have a Caption and prefer it to our Vertige X. You can't go wrong with either boat. Probe 14 would be fine as well. Or go for the gusto and buy a boat from Millbrook.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

I would second what ncdavid said... other than to agree with his friends... I prefer the Caption to the Vertige X. The Caption turns/carves much better, surfs better, is narrower for easier verticle strokes. The downsides are it is wetter amidship and can't carry quite as much gear/weight. The Vertige X is drier and can carry more weight but even at 6'3", I find it too wide for easy paddling form. It is certainly a good boat but I find it a bit dull... I always put in plugs for Millbrook Boats as well. Don't own one but have paddled the Prowler and Howler many times and someday the Prowler will be in the quiver. One last comment regarding your weight and boat choice. If your bow partner was closer to your weight I, would suggest that the Vertige was the best choice but as your wife is pretty light, the Caption or Prowler would work fine, especially if you rig for CLOSE paddle stations. Oh, and I did not mention the Bell at first because I don't like it and would own a V X before a Nexus. Good luck with the decision.
Jim P
C Guru

VX and Caption are similar but

Post by Jim P »

The Caption is the sportier ride of the two. If you want quicker turning, more nimble craft go Caption, if you want more predictable like your Vertige get the VX. I have a VX in Northern Va you can try if you want. The Probe 14 is also a much quicker turning craft than the Vx but I think you will find it a bit wet with 365 lbs in it but with yourSO in front should be OK.