Rank these boats Please!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It's been a while since I was in a Z but I would rank the Score as the faster of the two.
AYockey
C Guru

Post by AYockey »

I thought I had my mind made up and now you are throwing me off. The Score and Z are the same length so I can see how a newer hull could be faster. The ends on the score look slicier, but are they too edgy and catchy? Also, the volume in the score seems really low for such a long boat. Is there room for some extra gear and a float bag?
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Score is pointier - it must be faster! ;-). Not a lot of extra room in there, though.

The Z was "spinnier" to me - I had trouble going vertical in the flats, it spun around too fast. The Score is controllable on either end. The Z might be safer on steeps (more vol). I'd expect the X and Foreplay be could similarly compared.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I'd suggest a Large Flirt... I even know of someone selling one that's already set up... he needs a medium... maybe you could work something out. At 170lbs but tall and lanky it launches him out of the water like a watermelon seed being squeezed between your fingers... it needs a heavier paddler.

The Spice is more of a "river runner" and I don't know of anyone that personally has a CR125

There's a few other's I could suggest but the Flirt is one of the better conversions out there that I know of that you can play like a mo'fo in and still safely run a "river" with... plus it comes in three sizes. Forget creeking in it though if that's what your thinking.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

The WaveSport Z is the best "conversion" that I have ever been in.
I like mine; and at 6'1" and 175lbs; it is my C1 playboat.
Of course, it is the shortest boat that I own.
I think it also makes a fine river runner, but, I have never had it on anything more difficult than the Ocoee and really prefer open boats; although the Fink and I are becoming friends.
Also, the cockpit is fairly roomy.
dance for rain
AYockey
C Guru

Pyranha

Post by AYockey »

I have been scanning the classifieds and some other boats came to my attention.

How about Pyranha? No one mentioned it earlier. Is there a reason for that? I was looking at an I:3 223 for sale near my parent's house, is it the best of both worlds or the worst? There are a lot of reviews on this kayak but how well does it convert?
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

I have a Dagger Centrifuge that I love. I can't speak to running Class IV in it but its fast [for a playboat] and has a lot of play in. I've only run Class III (Chattooga Sec3 & upper part of Sec4 to Woodall) in it but loved every minute of it.

I'm 6'3" 200 lbs.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I used to paddle a Z as a yakker and moved up to Pyranha Stretch to gize more foot room and play a little better. I recently moved to canoe, got a season under my belt and Ive been eyeing up the Stretch as a future C1, Im 235Lbs the boat is the L, XL size and I could prob fit in the smaller size, but It hink this one will be a great c1.
I see them selling, prob because they are a high volume river play and yakkers want a smaller boat.
Proud Yankee
AYockey
C Guru

Got a Spice L

Post by AYockey »

I found a nearly new Fluid Spice L for super cheap in TN. Unfortunately it's outfitted completely wrong and I have no idea how to use it. Theres a seat boated to the floor and some foot blocks way out in the end of it. I really don't understand.

Thanks for all the help.