Hudson gorge question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kballard
c

Hudson gorge question

Post by kballard »

Can anyone compare the Indian and Hudson gorge to runs in the mid-Atlantic for me? How does the Hudson at low levels compare to the Cheat canyon at low to moderate levels (1.5-2.5), the New at low levels, the lower Yough at 2-3 ft? Thanks

Kevin
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Re: Hudson gorge question

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

kballard wrote:Can anyone compare the Indian and Hudson gorge to runs in the mid-Atlantic for me? How does the Hudson at low levels compare to the Cheat canyon at low to moderate levels (1.5-2.5), the New at low levels, the lower Yough at 2-3 ft? Thanks
Hudson Gorge is way less technical than any of those, unless there is something I'm forgetting. The one or two big rapids are big-water wave'n'hole style rapids. I think you can just sneak the biggest one by eddy-hopping down the right.

Indian Creek too. No boulders or ledges or anything, just fast and splashy. I hate it in an open boat, because I like technical rock-slaloming, and Indian Creek is all about keeping water out of the boat.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
C-Dawg
c

Hudson vs Cheat and New

Post by C-Dawg »

Having done the Cheat and Hudson maybe 20 times each and the New a few here's my take. I would say the Hudson and Cheat are comparable with the Cheat getting a nod overall. Both 4-5 hour days at low water and remote gorges. The New at minus 2 to plus 3 feet is pretty much go where you want, not alot of eddy moves to find as the other 2 have. The Lower Yough at 2-3 feet has enough water to make it fluid with alot of moves to do, but is easier and the rapids are way shorter. One rapid on the Hudson below Blue Ledge is about 3/8 miles of Cl 3. At 5-6 feet the Cheat is harder than the Hudson at 7-8 feet, and both are tougher than the New up to 8-9 feet, just avoid some major holes on all three. To add a river the Lower Moose(not the Bottom) at 5-7 feet is like a 4-5 foot Cheat run, I've been on it 4-6 times and it has been too long ago, gotta get back. Springtime the Hudson 5-7' can be done alot. Don't underestimate the Indian, it is fast, pushy and shallow so make sure you have a roll in case you get flipped.
C-ing is believing!