G/Flex Epoxy

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

G/Flex Epoxy

Post by oopsiflipped »

Has anyone used this on Royalex or other canoe materials? I just got done reading about using G/Flew to fix a baddly damaged 16' Canoe and it sounds interesting....
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

gflex

Post by rcgalwa »

I used it to repair a gunwale I took a chunk out of. It is awesome stuff and extremely rugged. I could see it working well for boat repair if done correctly.
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

G-flex

Post by Al Donaldson »

Folks:

I've used both the 650 and 655 (thickened) compounds and have really liked this stuff!

I've found that it (so far) has great adhesion, even to really odd surfaces and can be mixed with other West epoxies to vary properties (particularly cure time...)

I've been using this product to adhere some pre-formed skid plates to poly and royalex canoes, and it shows great promise. However, it is NOT a "do everything" epoxy. As a fabrication (laminating) component, it has the disturbing quality of sticking quite well to peel-ply and Saran Wrap, making some finishing techniques into a real nightmare.

So far, its oddest use has been to adhere three sheets of HDPE in order to make a sheath for a pruning saw (used for trimming branches on our narrower creeks) and has done well so far (4 months of rough service.)

Time will tell more...
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I used it to glue a 16" X 32" piece of polyethylene to the bottom of a Super Fly to eliminate an oil canning problem. So far so good.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

bigspencer07
Pain Boater

...a similar sealant..

Post by bigspencer07 »

Rule's Elastomeric Marine Sealant has worked well too... 8)

$.01