Detonator outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

wetnobby

Detonator outfitting

Post by wetnobby »

Anyone got a set of Esquif outfitting straps for a Detonator?

Mine came with the new foam bulkhead set up....and I really want to dump it.
I did have some concerns and by deliberatly trying it I have found that in any situation where shallowish water sees me over the back deck with feet on the pegs it is impossible to get out of it...I know because i have tried it.

Having paddled it once and discovered this, its sat gathering dust in the garage for the last 8 months. Its waiting for me to either dump the bulkhead outfitting and fit the older style strap set up with a quick release, or dump the boat.

Chris
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

I have a nitro with esquif straps which I not happy with. I had to tie knots behind the buckles to keep them from loosening. I have tried to replace with tubular webbing bit the buckles wont accept them. thinking about replacing with Mike Yee set up ,if I keep the boat.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

why does it have to be Esquif straps?, any other strap setup would work good, if not better. I agree with 'cking' the esquif straps tend to loosen. Don't know what you have access to but the northawater selection of straps and such has worked pretty good for me, maybe you could come up with some of those, hate to see a boat just collecting dust because you are looking for such specific outfitting.
Good Luck
B
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I have Mike Yee straps in my Detonator. Costly but they work well and are fairly comfortable. I had Esquif straps in my previous boat but it did not have a quick release and the M.Yee set up does not either. If you have to modify them, why not make your own straps with the airplane seat belts for a quick release?
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Some pictures of the outfitting you guys are using would be good...

I am not determined to have the Esquife outfitting but it I have modified the straps that came in my Zoom (Which work great and are very comfortable) to a quick release system that works off a single pull.....
I would be happy with the same set up in the Det but am open to other suggestions....

What seat heights are you guys running in yours..?

Chris
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Any pictures?
TonyB
CBoats Addict

nitro ouifitting

Post by TonyB »

ckingoc1 you shouldnt bother messing with that boat if you dont like the outfitting, in fact I think it has hasled you so much you should give that Nitro to me. Ill teach it a lesson! To make certain it doesnt bother you again just ship if up here to Pennsylvannia and I'll conduct its punishment free of charge.
Proud Yankee
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

TonyB thank you for generous offer! You're right my nitro has been bad and need to be punished, and but good! But I think I take care of that :P