Thigh straps or lap belt on a Spanish Fly

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Marc Evans
C Guru

Thigh straps or lap belt on a Spanish Fly

Post by Marc Evans »

Recently I picked up a spanish fly and complete re-outfitted the thigh hook system following Craig Smerda's suggestions, with one exception: I widened the pedestal to 9 inches instead of the standard 6 inches. Very comfortable set-up, but I have a problem staying in the boat when I flip. The thread on missing your roll due to outfitting by oopsiflipped (Gabe) is very timely. Everything would be fine if I could stand to keep my feet planted on the foot pegs and press myself into the thigh hook system. But, I can't! I am very comfortable with my feet lying flat as in a C1, but can't always keep my rear planted when I flip. Makes rolling tough.

Anyway, has anyone tried to put either thigh straps or a lap belt (I know, scary) in a spanish fly or similar plastic boat? If you have, how did you attached the belts? I use VW style belts for the thigh straps in my finkenmeister. They are attached to the hull at the hip pad connectors, and to a rail that runs down the middle of the hull. I feel quite comfortable pulling the skirt and then the belts when I need to wet exit. But when I have time the belts hold me in and I can usually pull off a roll.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Marc
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

in my first skeeter...

used thigh straps with standard bulkhead and saddle, and usual Yakama footbraces... had a pair of old team edge thigh straps, but guess most any would work the same way

I attached the bottom of each thigh strap to the front of the footbrace... by simply using front screw, and making hole in strap with a hot nail or such... they were 2" tubular nylon, and sandwiched between foam and footbrace

for the top attachment, I simply drilled two holes through the side up high and behind me for each strap... they were about and inch or so apart and had a stainless washer on both sides... nothing too large was needed, as the load is still being spread to bulkhead also

these were adjustable/velcro straps so they felt pretty safe... they were also two piece, with the top being a square ring through which the main strap was doubled back (and down) through... worked real good, was still doing rodeo in those day's as well as creeking

still have that boat out back... if you'd like a pic can be taken in a day or two
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

I use a Mohawk single thigh strap in my quake.

On each side, I use a piece of nylon webbing to hold a metal d-ring. the webbing is attached to the side of the boat with two rounded-head screws and bolts. I put a wide washer on the outside, under the screw heads.

I've been using this set up for several years now, and there is no sign of any damage or deformation where the screws go through the hull.

It's a little nerve-racking to drill that first hole, but it works really well.
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

I used thigh straps in my Spanish Fly, the connection to the boat they gave was great.
My roll was pretty much 1st time bombproof....and once the straps were in I stopped needing to roll so much as the boat control was so much better.
The straps were mounted by drilling and bolting through the thwart at the back and at the front by boring a hole through the bottom of the seat and inserting a piece of plastic waste pipe so the straps dont cut through the foam.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53 ... CF1921.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53 ... CF1923.jpg

Hope that helps...Chris
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

was wrong...these turned out to be simply 2" tubular webbing (suicide straps) doubled back through 2 square loops and not velcro quick release
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I use the Mohawk lap belt system in my Quake which is a boat similar to the Spanish Fly. All my OCs (Ocoee, Ovation, Prophet and Impulse) have one each side or dual thigh strap systems.

I find it much harder to roll the Quake (I have but unreliably) with my lap belt than any of my OCs and my feet are well planted in all the boats...I have the same problem as I can not seem the stay planted on the pedestal with the lap belt even though this is a shorter/smaller boat than them all. I do not have the original dagger pedestal....I may just have to reoutfiit it with dual straps.

Any suggestions...
SYOTR
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Thanks for the input Philcanoe, Chris and others. Phil I don't know why I didn't think to attach the lower end of the straps to the footpeg mounts. In the imortal words of Homer Simpson, Doh! I even changed out the stock plastic mounting plate and 3/8th inch diameter mounting dowels for 1/8th inch thick aluminum plate and 3/4th inch mounting dowels - much beefier set up. Thanks also for the photos Chris and Phil. As soon as I have put the straps in and run a test I'll post my thoughts. For now I think I have it figured out.

Thanks again.

Marc
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

have used wood in the past....

Frankie preferred to user a tapped piece of aluminum rod, which can be simply screwed into using standard yakama screws... a bit of a production for most people

however a piece of all-thread or long-carriage bolt works good also, simply requires the screw hole (on yakama's) to be drilled out, then a regular nut to tighten everything together... I usually place a backup nut behind each yakama, this allows the outside nut to be really tightened down.... my standard order it to put a galvanized carriage bolt through one yakama, screw first nut (galvanized also) up tight to back, stick through saddle, put second nut on, then other yakama, and tighten down the third nut... bomber when used with that mounting plate you mentioned

(if you look real hard, you can barely make out nut's in above pic)
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I use a lap strap, two old BA harnesses, joined up and looped under the saddle. In combination with a combined hip pad-back rest, made of foam.

Its great, and very simple. but requires a lot of time to get the foam bit right.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Thanks everybody for the replies, interesting post.

I'm realizing that I removed the lap belt in my boat right after i bought it for security purposes (I agree with the terminology suicide straps!) and never did reajust the hip blocks to my size either.

I thought initially that with the bulkhead and yakima pegs it feels stiff enough and it really does when you sit on it on shore, but on water it's another story... I did read many reviews on my boat (Prelude) saying it was tippy and couldn't agree more but only now I realize it may still improve.

Thanks Chris (wetnobby), your straps looks like a great idea. A last question thought, do you have pegs also in that boat? Can you still exit without pulling the straps released?

Ciao!