Esquif Prelude vs Pyranha Prelude

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

There has been some suggestions that Esquif's Prelude is a little different than the Pyranha version. Can anyone elucidate? Does anyone have direct experience in knowing what the differences are?

Unforunately, Esquif only gives one picture on their site. It would be nice if these boat manufacturers would give us six shots from different angles and vantage points.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

Milkman.
I was in the demo Esquif Prelude last May and own a Pyranha Prelude now. On the new Esquif Prelude, when it is removed from the mold they have flattened the bottom before the PE hardens. I felt they did this for better initial stability. But I'm not 100% sure of that. It was though, a lot easier to get in and out of the Esquif Prelude than it is getting in and out my Pyranha Prelude. There are likely other resons they flattened the bottom of the as well. Others on the board my be able to help with this.

Ryan.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Hull speed and control is what I have been told by a few in the know.
Amiga!!
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Spoke with one of the esquif rep in may at a show got told it was added there for initial stability more than for carving, but it changes very little in fact.
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

<<Spoke>>

I'v seen it in Nurnberg Kanu messe, and , yes, changes is very little
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have an unmodified Pyranha one and I have paddled a flattened out one (still pyranha, but close to Esquif spec).
As far as I can tell, the changes are incremental. For the little change it makes I will definitely not rip the outfitting out of my boat.
It did definitely did not improve hull speed, it might actually even be a tad slower, but primary stability is marginally improved. It seems to be, due to the added flair in the bow (Esquif inserted a wider carrying thwart), a tad dryer.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I've ended up buying the boat and will post my impressions of it sometime in the future.

I have a friend with the Pyranha version (which I've never paddled) and we'll compare the boats next time we paddle together.