new canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hapypadler
c

new canoe

Post by hapypadler »

Im lookin for a new canoe and was wondering if there are any opinions about the mohawk xl-15?
My other choices(so far) are the Oldtown appalacian or the esquif pocket canyon.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

How about some more information. I'm assuming tandem use. How big/heavy will the two paddlers be? Will this boat be for day trips or multi-day trips or both? What classes of whitewater are you thinking of using it in? What is your paddling experience?
hapypadler
c

Post by hapypadler »

The boat i choose will see class 1 to 3 whitewater ,mostly floating our lazy flat arkansas river and occasional trips to arkansas or missouri. With all due respect, I know what type of boat i want, I'm just lookin for opinions on the mohawk xl15.
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

XL15 - Pocket Canyon - Appalachian

Post by Al Donaldson »

Some observations:

If you are light enough (yourself and your paddling partner), both the XL15 and the Pocket C will be much better turning and "whitewater-capable" than the Appalachian. The Pocket is definitely the smallest of the three and will be the most "load sensitive."

I have paddled all three and currently own a Pocket Canyon (converted to solo; seats removed and kneeling thwart installed...)

The App will never turn as well as the other two, but will carry considerably more load efficiently.

Given the prices of each of the boats, unless the somewhat limited load capacity of the XL is a problem, it would certainly give you the most bang for your bucks. Mohawk does still produce good quality boats at a great price!

If the lesser agility and the extra length and weight are not problems (and if you can get one for less than retail) the App is not a bad choice.

The Pocket Canyon is a great boat for my uses, but I feel that most folks who need a single boat to cover many purposes, it is just a bit too small: for your lazy river trips, it will just run too low in the water when loaded to give any performance (if your paddlers and cargo are over 300 pounds.)

My humble opinions only.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194