Vintage AW file footage poll UPDATE

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Would you be willing to donate to the film conversion from 16mm to DVD? We have AW's blessing on the project!

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 pm

YES! Sign me up! (please post a follow up post so we know who you are!)
77%
Er, no, sorry, $20 is too rich for me. I could do $10 though, if enough folks are interested
18%
Not interested.
No votes
Too broke!
5%

Total votes: 22

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Thanks for the update. I hear ya about the balance. Looking forward to the pix - remember though, you're not there in the winter! :D
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Today's update comes from from a Hampton just off of I-75 in Cleveland, TN...

I just received a text message from my friend: "Video is Done". I'm here on business until I drive home sometime Sunday, assuming nothing goes horrifyingly wrong. Odds are I'll make it over to my friend's next weekend to take a look at it and take possession of the master. From there, it's just a matter of burning a bunch of DVDs and shipping them out to you (incredibly) patient people.

Thanks,

Phreon
icyone
C Guru

Alright Phreon!!

Post by icyone »

You da man!!
phreon
CBoats Addict

I HAVE THE FINISHED DVD!

Post by phreon »

I have the finished "master" in my possession. I wish the finished DVD was as brilliant as the original Kodachrome film, but all things considered, it looks pretty good. At some point, I'll undertake a marathon splicing session and see if I can't get it to run though the projector one more time into an HD videocamera...... If I ever produce a cleaner version of the video, the original doners will get free copies.

I'll try to get to Microcenter during lunch early this week (going on pager Monday morning) to buy a spool of DVDs and mailers. Then it's just time giving the ol' burner a workout.

Thanks,

Phreon
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Pager duty last week was a real b!tch. I have the cases and am in the process of burning the DVDs.

Thanks,

Phreon
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

They're done!
DaveKurtz

Post by DaveKurtz »

Pheron,
I missed the original post. However, I am interested at the $20 level for the DVD.

I am in some of the pics... The one with Tom Southworth in the red hat (Maine Guide style) loading aluminum canoes onto a white Ford wagon, the ones in a black decked C-2, vintage 1965, rolling a decked C-1, vintage 1963 and maybe others.

Dave Kurtz
d1k@psu.edu
icyone
C Guru

DVD..

Post by icyone »

First my thanks to Phreon for undertaking this epic project. If ever you had had any idea what you were getting into!!! Who knew??

I thoroughly enjoyed -- it was like being back at a CCA meeting in the first years I was discovering paddling.

But I have to say, with due appreciation of the early posts by Dave K and Bob H, I wish that there was a little insiders mini-guide to who & where. (OK, some of us are never satisfied...). Altho I'm not quite old enough (in paddling years, that is) to recognize the pictures, I'm sure I'd recognize the names, & would love to be better able to match them to the pictures. And who is the narrator -- I could make guesses, but--.

So here is my call -- would anyone -- Dave, Bob, JRS, perhaps -- be willing to offer up any mini-guide/commentary, perhaps wiki-style where others could add as well -- in sequence with the action -- that would help the history-handicapped to recognize the paddling heros of yore. The earlier posts on this thread are a start, but they preceded the finished product and are harder for us late-comers to connect with the action.

Any posts here with comments, stories, background, identifiers would be truly welcome, I'm sure.

And again -- thanks, Phreon.
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Check your email and/or inbox.
DaveKurtz wrote:Pheron,
I missed the original post. However, I am interested at the $20 level for the DVD.

I am in some of the pics... The one with Tom Southworth in the red hat (Maine Guide style) loading aluminum canoes onto a white Ford wagon, the ones in a black decked C-2, vintage 1965, rolling a decked C-1, vintage 1963 and maybe others.

Dave Kurtz
d1k@psu.edu
kentford
c

Film Archive

Post by kentford »

Dang, Wish I had seen this before final production of "The Call of the River." Looks like some good footage! I rounded up footage from 50 different sources for our recent production, (including entire collections from Salida, DC, ACA, and others) so perhaps for now I am the de facto keeper of an archive for paddlesport.

Preview of our finished film is at http://www.thecalloftheriver.com
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Check your email Kent.

If I managed to somehow overlook sending a DVD out to any of you, for the love of J.C. (Jacques Cousteau) , send me an email. Except for a few folks who have contacted me in the last month or so, I'm 99% sure I'm caught up.

I just burnt a small batch, so I'll be catching up with "new" orders shortly.

Thanks,

Phreon
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Has everyone played their DVD by now? I recently got an email from someone saying they can't get their copy of the film to play reliably in their DVD player or laptop.

Thanks,

Phreon
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

Mine works. We've watched it on several occasions.
Thanks again for the effort!
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

My copy worked just fine. Thanks!
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

DVD Works?

Post by Al Donaldson »

Phreon:

Ours worked just fine.

Thanks again!