removal of marks on hull

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

removal of marks on hull

Post by TonyB »

I just got a new to me Nitro and it comes with its own set of batttle scars.
Included are long black marks supposedly made from other boats during transport.

Soap and WD40 dont seam to work in removing the marks . Whats a good removal agent that wount destroy the roylex?
Proud Yankee
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

a low water (steep) creek might just do....
Louie

hades FIRE PHILL

Post by Louie »

that was a smart butt answer, wish I would have thought of it. I was just wonder why anyone would want to clean it up.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

must be those restrictive neighborhood covenants... maybe putting it inside a Sprinter Van would work - and then all the women would have a place to change :wink: you'd be way popular
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

For most marks if elbow grease and WD don't remove them you might as well not risk the hull and leave them be.
Having the buzz of getting a new boat (at least to you) is a good thing, particularly if its your only one or close to that.
Although some of the boat pimps :wink: have whole stables of boats and can't even keep track of them or what condition they are in (or don't care - guilty here :cry: ).
That said - what do you plan on using the boat for? If its bigger water without rocks and you really want to clean it up to just like new just stay at it with elbow grease - just take care to not wear through the cover coat. If you are taking it creeking and on low flow runs you might want to re-think the effort - by the way canoest dig boat scars!
If the marks are from other boats in transit they will slowly work out if you water (paddle) the boat frequently. 8)
Good luck and have fun. Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Thanks, Im in process of moving so Its just sitting there all taunting
me while I pack and clean the real world junk.
the boat will be profusly paddled on low water "this is eastern pa"while I practice my skills and attempt to move from class II-II river running in my old ME to the next level.
It was bugging me that these battle scars where not mine and I couldnt put mine on yet.

Im like a little kid with a new bike watching the commercials while it blizzards outside.

I'll cover them with my own marks latter.
Proud Yankee
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

pressure washer?
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Acetone will take any marks out of the hull.

Very lightly dampen a paper towel with a little Acetone. Lightly wipe on the area you want cleaned up. Don't soak the paper towel unless you want to do a nasty repair.

WARNING: Acetone will dissolve the outer skin of your boat. That's partially how this works, since it will dissolve whatever the mark is plus a little of the outer hull. It can make the boat look cleaner, but you're thinning the skin and risking some nasty damage.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Acetone is absorbed through the skin & attacks the liver. Wear gloves. A respirator is a good idea too.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'd like to hear some evidence about the potency of acetone regarding liver damage. I've had the stuff on my hands for decades, and all my liver function parameters are absolutely normal.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

the way I heard it...

acetone breaks down whatever it's removing into smaller more easily adsorbed matter, so the toxicity will very... needless to say a good liver is hard to come by

... cheers Image
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

It's surely much less dangerous than a host of solvents contained in the various glues we use.

If one is going to use quite a bit of acetone for a significant time, wearing gloves is surely worthwhile, and if one is working indoors, a chemical mask might be worthwhile also.

But as solvents and cleaners go, acetone doesn't have a reputation for being dangerous. Or, if it does, I want to know the data.

Just sniffing my evening toluene......
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I found some interesting info. The National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health says to prevent skin & eye contact. They also have respirator recomendations.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0004.html

What's bizarre is that OSHA says that acetone is listed by the FDA as permitted for direct addition to food for human consumption :o
even though it lists irritation of eyes, nose, throat & skin. I don't know about you, but I don't have any acetone in the kitchen.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsamplin ... 16600.html

Personally, I have some acetone. I use gloves & a respirator. As soon as this can is gone I'm done with it. Mineral spirits will do the same job w/ the same efficiency w/o the (potential?) health hazards.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Here is a link that echoes what I found on other links.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemical ... h_ace.html

Breathing it is not a hazard at levels we are likely to encounter in the basement or garage.

Occasional skin exposure (such as when using acetone nail polish remover) is not a hazard. Frequent use without gloves will tend to cause skin dryness and damage.

Its main risk is its flammability.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

So I should keep it away from my Detonator? :o