ALF first timer?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

ALF first timer?

Post by gumpy »

I paddle class II & III stuff regularly, and I'm real hungry for more. Is ALF an appropriate place for me to step up? Or will I just be in the way?
Louie

I don't think so

Post by Louie »

a good fifty percent of our people are your class of boater, most of the runs we have done in the past are runs that have EZ water in the lower part of the runs I can't believe you won't find a lot of people and class your level.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Grumpy, I agree with Louie.

Post by ChrisKelly »

There are two possibilities; one we don't have much water. In that case you can run lower Tellico, Clear Creek and some other II/III stuff. Two, we will have a bunch of water and there will be lots o' II/III stuff.

You will have a good time and nobody will care if you are whatever level boater. Chris
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

What I meant was I'd like to push my limits and "step up" into some more difficult water. Specifically steeper, creekier stuff. I may swim a bunch, but I'm used to that, and my roll is improving. I'd like to get on some III/IV stuff which I think you have lots of(?).
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

swimmin' at ALF won't be no problem
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

I'm kinda in the same boat. Planning on making it to my first ALF. I'm hoping to meet up with folks who wouldn't mind having a solid class III/easy IV paddler along on some trips that would be a step up. Working on making that move to solid Class IV. I promise you if I can't paddle it - I can style it while I'm swimming it. :)

So are you guys saying that is pretty easy to meet up with people willing to include you on their trips? Given that there's a sense you can handle it of course - I'll bring an official copy of my paddling resume and three references! Just kidding - well sort of.

Kimmie
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Heck your not work the river enought if you don't swim once in a while, I go through periods where I swim often and sometimes I don't. I went to the first ALF and it was great and great for all skill levels and a great place to learn and work for that next step.
Greybear
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

dude, go with it.

Post by iRolled »

I've swam the large steaming pile of dog doo out of everything i've ran. It just makes me want more. But seriously, you'll have a blast.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Louie

People

Post by Louie »

there aren't enought single sticker out there that we can exclude anyone if 11 years old are doin babys falls, we include eveyone
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Greybear and Swimmingmexican I like your attitude. That's why I need to find more open boaters to paddle with - you guys get it. If I'm not doing some swimming then that means I'm paddling stuff that's not challenging my current skill level.

I just had a kayaker friend tell me yesterday (after I swam Corkscrew on Section IV) that I'm going to be the only person he knows that flush drowns because of laughing while swimming. LOL He's probably right.

Kimmie
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I turned a corner on swimming this past year - I still don't like it and I still suck at it, and while I have not lessened my commitment to the wonderful art of rolling, I am now free from shame when a swimmin' does happen. Hallelujah, Can I get an amen?
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Everybody is just between swims
dixie_boater
C Guru

Post by dixie_boater »

Kimmie,

Your approach to the Five Falls yesterday was good. You were definitely challenging yourself running Corkscrew in the Skeeter. Corkscrew is harder at lower levels (it looked like a 1.5' to 1.6' level yesterday) and becomes easier at higher levels. Next time try the main entrance line and you'll have more momentum (and manueverability) when you get to the haystack at the bottom. I was in the Caption and set safety on the center rock above Crack for your group and mine. Besides the kayakers I was with yesterday I paddle with a couple of open boaters and you're welcome to hook up with us anytime

What a beautiful day we had...clear skies, warm weather...and the low level fog hanging over the lake was very cool. Another fine day on Sect IV.
Michael McCurdy
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Hey Dixie Boater - Thanks for the tips on Corkscrew yesterday - if only I'd had them before I ran :D Next time I think I will nail that sucker.

I can't wait to get back on Section IV. It was awesome. And I'd love to paddle with other open boaters. I'll email you my contact info through cboats. Hope to see you soon.
Kimmie
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Image Practice