PA Creekers?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

PA Creekers?

Post by gumpy »

Any Eastern PA (or nearby) creek boaters paddlin' this time of year? Most of my friends think it's too cold! But lots of stuff is running...I need some foul weather friends.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

join the Yahoo group: PACreekers

There are lots of active boaters in the Poconos. Myself included. The Water Gap runs are common (Raymondskill, Hornbecks and Shohola) as well as the other local classics.
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

Gumpy (and Mark)-

You might also want to try this group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njnyww/

A bit less extreme a group than the PAcreekers, but we do NW PA runs like the Shohola, Brodhead, and Tohicon, pretty frequently. Mostly kayakers, but there are a handful of open boaters.

I start to lose my enthusiasm for paddling when it goes below 40 (I find it hard to stay warm when I'm constantly kneeling in a bathtub full of ice water), but some of the hardier souls go out into the 20's.

Mark-

Have you ever run Hornbecks and the Raymondskill? I don't know of anyone who has run them in an open boat.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Yes, I love those Water Gap runs. I have never dropped them C style, only in a K, but I'm hoping to get Raymondskill in my Spanish Fly sometime this spring.

Good recommendation on NJNYWW, its a good community as well.
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

gumpy--what sort of water are you looking to run? I would be game. C1 or open boat? I might do either.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Nate- I've been paddling the Toh and Nescopeck, I like them both but want to run Brodhead and other more exciting (steep) stuff like the Black (into the Lehigh) etc. I think we've met at PCC, and I should be at St Joes sunday. I usually paddle an open boat but recently picked up an Atom, so I'll paddle either/or. BTW, Nesco should run tomorrow, we could paddle in the snowstorm...

jinjerbeerd@aim.com

joe
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Hey Joe,
Unfortunately tomorrow is a no go for me.
I have done both the Black and the Brodhead--both fun in their own way, but with the Black/Quakake, you have to make sure the water is high enough otherwise its a really tedious and technical run that has much pinning potential.

Nate
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

So which guage do you use for the Brodhead, and what's a good level?
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

For the Brodhead:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01440400

I look for 300 cfs or higher (and rising), but I think it gets run as low as 150.