SCUD c1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

OC1er
CBoats Addict

SCUD c1?

Post by OC1er »

Anybody ever converted one before? I think I'm gonna give it a try, I've got a dagger rig to try but I'm not commited to that if there are better ways.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I bet it will make a horrible c1. It isn't a very good kayak and c1's need extra hull speed. The I've seen them paddled before as kayaks and they are slow. You will perhaps become known as 'chunder boy the amazing hole bait' if you go through with this conversion. I got my hands on an ammo and have c1ed it a few times. it is similar to the scud. supposed to be an all around boat, but it is really multi-useless, especially as a c1 where the slow hull and extra volume really don't help.

My $.02.....
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

do it this way: get a scud, get the kayak seat out and lay a foam block into the boat for a test ride. It doesn't give the 100% feeling since the foam block is loose and you have no kneestraps in, but it can give you an impression wether it is generally usable as a C1 or not. Try it

with my current whitewater c1 anybody told me it would be stupid to convert this kayak I had to a C1, for they thought it would perform horribly.

I tested it with a loose foamblock, felt very comfy in it, converted it and now I have the coolest C1 I can think of.

even if no one likes it, it might be perfect for you, it only depends on how you feel
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

insolence wrote:with my current whitewater c1 anybody told me it would be stupid to convert this kayak I had to a C1, for they thought it would perform horribly.
What are you paddling that you were told would be no good?
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

it's an Eskimo Kendo Evolution

(sorry I don't know how to post pictures in here)
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

scud

Post by billcanoes »

get rid of the scud and sell me your Atom saddle :)

Actually I'd love to hear your review (not like I could afford one right now anyway, but living vicariously never hurt)
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Scuds

Post by OC1er »

Pulled the kayak outfitting out last nite, these boats are made extremely well, I'm really impressed so far. I got in touch with Bliss stick's C1 guy, he loves his converted scud. I'm looking to use this boat on the skinny creeks where manuverability will be of more use than hull speed...I've watched these boats paddled as kayaks quite a bit, and they are great for their intended purposes. I'll definitly let ya'll know how the conversion goes and my thoughts on the boat itself.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
kuba

already got one

Post by kuba »

Hi all,

I have converted one SCUD recently. This is my post about the conversion:

http://www.go-kayaking.net/singlove-kleceni-telenovela/

it is in Czech but I hope the images will do their job right. I can translate the key parts if neccessary.

I paddled it several times on our local slalom course an then during our Easter paddling trip. After 12 years, I encountered terrible swim in Soca Tornovo katarakt. But I suppose the reason was not the boat itself:

http://www.go-kayaking.net/velikonocni- ... ponauceni/

Now, everything is ready for next week trip to Piemonte.

Kuba
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Re: Scuds

Post by Randy Dodson »

OC1er wrote:Pulled the kayak outfitting out last nite, these boats are made extremely well, I'm really impressed so far. I got in touch with Bliss stick's C1 guy, he loves his converted scud. I'm looking to use this boat on the skinny creeks where manuverability will be of more use than hull speed...I've watched these boats paddled as kayaks quite a bit, and they are great for their intended purposes. I'll definitly let ya'll know how the conversion goes and my thoughts on the boat itself.

Who was Bliss Stick's C1 guy? I've got a buddy here in Arkansas who is or was a Bliss Stick rep. He converted a Scud and liked it quite a bit. He spends a lot of time on low volume creeks.
Parrot Head Paddler