Opinion on the Mad River Outrage for 5 ft 8 in 175 lb padd

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

D-Caption
C Guru

Opinion on the Mad River Outrage for 5 ft 8 in 175 lb padd

Post by D-Caption »

Any input appreciated. D-Caption
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Great boat,try the ocoee as well.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

I'm just a tad lighter than you, and it fits me fine.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Great boat! Love it!
After paddling one last spring while taking the ORCKA Moving Water Canoe instructors Course I actually bought one.

Fast, precise handling, predictable, turns extremely well for a 12ft boat.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

The Outrage is a good boat for its intended purpose. I first started paddling in one and almost bought my own, but ended up with an Esquif Spark. I would not paddle many other boats now. A recent test of a friend's Outrage reminded me of paddling a log--heavy, slow, wide etc. To each his/her own.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I didn't find the outrage slow, to the contrary. As far as weight, if the proper configuration is chosen, then it can be light as well, get the wooden gunwhales instead of the vinyl ones and ditch the deckplates, they don't do anything for function and weigh about a pound each.
As dfar as width is concerned, while overall it's with 27.5" wider than a Spark the width at the gunnel is with 25" the same.
I for one paddled the Spark as well and, while it's a great boat, I found the Outrage more versatile. The spark was a bit too much slalom oriented for my liking.

But as always , try before you buy. What works for one person may not work for the next one.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

go for it, your size sound just right for one, im 6' 192 and I feel I am upper end . I agree w/gonzo at 25" its narrow compared to most oc. My wood gunwaled outrage is very light compared to other roylex boats in 12' range. if you dont like later resale is easy on them.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm 5'9", 220lbs and have no complaints with my Outrage.

I've felt too heavy in the Spark, Viper11, Solito and others, but I feel OK in the Outrage. I'd much rather paddle it than the OutrageX.

PY.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I bought one new many years ago in the orange color with wood gunwales, when Mad River was still in bitmess. I found my Outrage to feel light, fast, durable and very forgiving in comparison to shorter more performance oriented boats. At times I wish I did not sold it :( . I wish I had it for bigger water paddling days and tripping.
Bill M
C Guru

Outrage

Post by Bill M »

I'm working on my third one. I'm 5'6" and about your weight. I find it to do everything well. It's a good big water as well as technical boat. i find it stable as well.
If you get one and don't like it they sell fast too.
Bill
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

I'm 5'10" and 170, a wood gunwaled outrage was my first solo boat. Worked out just fine, lots of fun. I ended up with a preference for edgier boats, but still would paddle an outrage. I say go for it, put her on some good water. :lol:
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

D-Caption-

The Outrage was my second boat, following a Probe 14. I've since moved on to smaller rigs - a Fink C1 and a Pyrahna Spanish Fly. I like the shorter boats most of the time. But if you need a 12 foot relatively soft chine boat, the Outrage is a good choice. As the Great Gonzo said, it is fairly narrow compared to most other boats in its length range and is relatively fast. Some people even like them for creeking (do a search on Outrage here). Also, you might want to look at Sammer Elias' piece on Jan Detmer's website: http://www.open-canoe.de/open/index.html. Many of the photos in Sammer's piece are of him in an Outrage.

Although I like smaller boats, I still have my Outrage and don't plan on selling it. Still good for solo canoe tripping, not to mention a day on the river.

Marc
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Sammer and I got our boats at about the same time. He basically distroyed his boat paddling class V, but he was fun to watch in it!

I found the boat a little long for creeking, you will be hitting the stern a lot, if you paddle shallower creeks.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I'm not good enough of a paddler to handle a boat with hard chines so the Outrage is by far my preferred canoe. I'm a big fan of soft chines and lots of rocker. The Outrage has both.

I'm 5' 11", 185 lbs.