ocoee or viper

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

j.m.
C Boater

ocoee or viper

Post by j.m. »

I am looking at getting a more aggressive boat. I have paddled a prodigy x, probe 13, and I have an encore. I have paddled an ocoee a few times and liked it. Was wanting some input on a viper 12. I am 5'10" 220lbs. I know I will have to get used to the edges but which boat is the better choice to advance in. Thanks
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

About your size exactly. I paddled a Viper 12 for years and loved it. Fast. Responsive. Dry. Spent a couple of hours in an Ocoee last year - awesome boat. Snappy turns. Great surfer. Can't go wrong with either, though, as hard as it is to say this, I think I give the edge (heh) to the Ocoee... But then again, it's been a while since I was in a Viper, I might need a refresher... I'd like to try a Viper *11* again just cuz...
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: ocoee or viper

Post by eddyhops »

Either.

Try both

The Ocoee is probably the more progressive design of the two mentioned.

The Viper may be an easier transition from the boats mentioned.

If strapped for cash, have an option for a $400 one or $800 other (given they are in similar condition) I would take the cheaper.

If money is not much of an issue but you can only buy one, it may come down to whether you want slightly easier transition from what you are used to, or slightly more progressive than that.

If money doesn't matter... buy both :)

By the way... try both :wink:
JD
Louie

both are badly dated and much better out there

Post by Louie »

but between the two Ocoee hands down
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

No - Not hands down.... Image
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Yes, you could forego any boat except what Louie & Phil paddle, man up, and get one of these to be ahead of the curve-

I also insist on using the chopsticks in lieu of a paddle... as to not look dated in a year or so

:P
JD
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Viper 12 is a faster boat than the Ocoee, but 16" or 18" longer.( I can't remember; is the Ocoee 11' or 11'2"?)
I prefer the Vipers myself, having owned a 12 for years till I wrapped it around a tree. I fixed it, sold it, and bought a Viper 11 and a Prelude.
At your weight, I would think the Viper12 might be better for you than the Ocoee. However, the Ocoee is an awesome boat also. Though, I've never paddled the Bell Canoe version only the Dagger and they aren't making them any longer. or any shorter.
dance for rain
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Note that there is an occasional poster here who I'm pretty sure is a tad north of 250 who paddles the Ocoee - a little wetter, but it still performs very well...
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Actually there is a shorter Ocoee. It's called a Solito and it's made by Evergreen. Very similar edges and bottom, but only 9'10". There are some great shots of Olivier Chatigny paddling one on his site (http://olicanotboy.spaces.live.com/). I prefer my Solito over my Bell Ocoee.

The Bell Ocoee is a great boat though. It's a little narrower than the Dagger version and thus more edgy. One thing I don't like are the Bell gunnels. They're wimpy and if you're not careful you could even crack them cinching your boat too hard down on your car's racks. (I have a friend who did that.)
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Weight limit on Solito

Post by Wendy »

Before the designer of the Solito died I had corresponded with him. The upper weight limit for it is around 180 he told me. BTW- Frankie didn't design the boat, but very similar to a short Ocoee.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I have both a Dagger and a Bell Ocoee and I find the Bell construction (gunnels) and outfitting to be quite cheesy by comparison. The loops that guide the string for the bag cages are pulling out. The problem with that is they also rivet the gunnels to the hull. The gunnels flex quite a lot as well compared to my 1998 Dagger Ocoee. The thigh straps are inferior to those in either the Dagger version with Team Edge outfitting or the outfitting in my '06 Detonator. The Detonator is a much more solid boat with more thoughtful outfitting, the problem there is the concave bottom causing the excess wear on those double chines.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

hey j.m.

What kind of use, are you planning for the boat... that might make a difference?
j.m.
C Boater

Post by j.m. »

Right now I paddle the locust and mulberry mainly. I have done the pigeon, nanny, and town in a probe. Would like to eventually work up to class 3-4 creeking.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

being you have tried an Ocoee... I'd be real tempted to 'PM' eddyhops (as in beer), and see if he wouldn't bring his Viper 12 to the Locust Race - Saturday week
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Hi Milkman,
If you prefer your Solito to the Ocoee, I'm guessing you weigh well south of 220 lbs? Most 220-pounders probably aren't looking for a smaller Ocoee!

Louie,
If there are better 'non-dated' hulls for the average 220-lbs paddler, let's have the specifics!

The Zephyr is the only other one I'd think of (I guess the Nitro or Detonator, but persoanlly I don't like them and they don't seem to have the following of the Ocoee or Vipers), can't think others unless it for a specialized, exceptional paddler I'm sure there are examples of bigger guys in Preludes or Tareaus, but probably not for everybody.

JM,
I'm in exactly your position, I haven't had much a chance to paddle either boat, but haver liked what I've tried of boat. I think the Ocoee would be a little snappier, and the Viper 12 a little faster and dryer. For me it'll come to whether I can find either boat used, and given that chance I wouldn't be too choosey about it. I'm going to try the Viper 11 a bit too, but I think it's too wet for me to own.

Good luck, PY.