How to cut down a paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

How to cut down a paddle

Post by TonyB »

So I need to cut down my fiberglass shaft paddle which I have no problem with. My question is how to remove the excess fiberglass from the T grip so I can reattatch it.
Proud Yankee
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Hey Tony, I've cut down a couple of paddles, so if you're not really anxious I can show you at the pool next weekend what I have done in the past and give you some tips.

Nate
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

If it's as nice as it was today I hope to be out on the river, Got the film fest. Of course there is the part where I already cut down the shaft.
Proud Yankee
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

not knowing what you've really got... but in a lot of cases, a wood chisel tapped lightly works well... from the direction where there once was a blade... a little more healthy, than sanding it away... just work your way round, taking off slivers
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

thanks for the input, chizel did wonders. I was thinking of weldwood epoxy to put it back in. anybody throwin their two cents.
Proud Yankee
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

I used regular 2-step epoxy on mine, seems to be holding.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

have use all different kinds of epoxy , with good results.... if using a thin one (like west), then usually will thicken it... position/flip with tee grip down, to cure... and sometimes i'll wrap joint/crack with tape, until hardened

as a finishing touch - i usually drill thru shaft and t-grip, put in a stainless screw, and then grind off both ends flush... then I can trust using the t-grip as a hook, no matter how heavy the paddler or how full of water their boat - it'll hold... or trust using it to lower my boat, on a portage