Question about thigh straps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

playboater06
C Boater

Question about thigh straps

Post by playboater06 »

I just got a Mohawk Viper and instead of traditional looking thigh straps it has one strap going completly across. Will this work the same? Should I switch it out to regular thigh straps? Thanks for any input!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

that would be mohawks belt strap. thats their traditional outfitting.
I prefer double straps like esquif or mikey makes but alot of people get along just fine with the belt. matter of preference. I wouldnt go changing things till I tried it out a little bit.
Proud Yankee
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Yup, standard mohawk.
I thought they also had a double strap system, but I might be wrong. Give it a try, it's not so bad.

I've got my viper 11 outfitted with a custom bulkhead.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Their "double strap" system is two straps going over a wider foam belt that goes over both thighs just like their single belt system. Their double strap system does provide better hold and control than the single belt system.
Crash
C Boater

Post by Crash »

Used a Sequel on the madawaska a few years back .Scary fun boat, liked the lapbelt alot.
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I really like the Mohawk set-up. It feels like a bulkhead. The Probe I had outfitted @ the factory had it a little farther forward than I would have liked (my knee popped out when I tried to roll). I ended up shimming the backrest 1" so I fit better into the strap. Later I had a Sequel w/ the same set-up.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I really don't think there is a more secure set up than a good double thigh strap. I think a bulkhead is hard to beat for convenience and easy of entry. The Mohawk system is a good compromise between the two. It can work right out of the box but, as should be no surprise, will benefit from personalization.
OC1Jon
c

Combo...

Post by OC1Jon »

In my Caption that originally had the Team Edge single thigh straps, I added a mohawk belt (the thigh straps were lower on the thigh) and it works great. Lower thigh/knee control with straps, belt holds your butt to the saddle!

jon
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Used it, like it

Post by MrTgrips »

I've got an oldschool Mad River Fantasy that I installed the Mohawk double in. I like it a lot. Very secure when the Yakima foot pegs are used. Locks you right in.
Mick :D
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The Mohawk system has one very big advantage over the bulkhead system. It's adjustable. People of all different sizes (within reason) can try your boat. The thing I hate about bulkheads is they're one size fits one.

In fact, the Mohawk system is probably the easiest and fastest to adjust to different sizes of paddlers. It's great in classes where you're introducing people to different canoes.