(idea?) Need help with your paddling or rolling technique?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Would you be willing to "TRY" this idea?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Yes
83%
No
No votes
Uncertain
17%

Total votes: 12

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

(idea?) Need help with your paddling or rolling technique?

Post by Craig Smerda »

shoot a couple minutes of video of yourself doing forward strokes on flatwater with crossover strokes paddling towards the camera and away from the camera... then left to right and right to left.

you'll need a camera that can shoot video... and a computer.

post it online somewhere. provide us with a link.

the same goes for those of you struggling with your roll... go to the lake or a pool... and shoot some video.

it's nearly impossible to help or assist people that are having issue's with this kind of stuff without seeing where the problems might actually lie. most likely it's something simple. people on this board are actually willing to help... but asking for certain types of advise is like myself or others asking you what you'd charge us to fix a leaking roof on our homes without actually seeing our homes. you get it?

if you are serious enough to ask for help and go through with it... you'll most likely be provided with some serious and helpful answers, tips or solutions. (we all like to joke around... myself included but i can't think of one c-boater i know of that won't take the time to help another one of us if we're willing to ask for it.)

this isn't the stone age and we aren't writing letters back and forth and sticking them in the mailbox waiting weeks on end for a reply... THIS is the internet... it's a powerful tool if your willing to use it to your advantage. :lol:

help us... help you :wink:

this thread will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2......
Atucky
CBoats Addict

check

Post by Atucky »

Now that's a pretty good idea right there...
Adam Trunnell
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:evil: Sir, you mock me !
Louie

?

Post by Louie »

I don't really care to have my rollin recorded on film. However I can have my IT department (PLG) lift the mulitude of times I righted by boat after flips, is that what you are talkin about?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: ?

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:I don't really care to have my rollin recorded on film.
we aren't able to make up excuses for you Louie... but we will be more than happy to suggest any and all corrections. :wink:

even old dogs can learn new and useful tricks... either that or we'll duct tape you into the boat until you drown or get it right! :lol:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

ezwater wrote::evil: Sir, you mock me !
yes... yer a bit "different" than the other children!

but we still love you... :lol:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: check

Post by Craig Smerda »

Atucky wrote:Now that's a pretty good idea right there...
i'm full of "good idea's"... usually a little short on cash and good looks... but i'm absolutely loaded with "ideas" !!!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Oh, Lordy! Don't tell me ezwater has a ribbon in his hair! :x

Craig, you don't have enough voting options for me to cast a vote (since I'm sidelined for a couple o' months). :wink:

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

KNeal wrote:(since I'm sidelined for a couple o' months). :wink:

KNeal

Spock suggests you to live Vicariously through others on the internet in the meantime.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Craig, that sounds like a good idea. You should recruit Hailey to do the C-1 parts, you do the OC-1 parts, and I think we'll be off and running. :)

Plus -- forget paddling or rolling. I can do you one better . . .

I could film myself doing outfitting work! Who wouldn't want to watch a Youtube clip called "The Endlessly Repairable Zephyr"? Or "Five Hours with Your Dagger Caption"? Maybe you remember the Simpsons episode with "Paint Your Wagon." Well, we could have "Paint Your Gunnels." Instead of "This Old House," we could have "This Old Boat." I think this is fertile ground.

After all, if I didn't want to tinker with stuff, and if I wasn't a "do-it-yourself-er," I would be paddling a kayak! Why do you think I got into C-1? :D

Alden
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Sounds like a good idea, but how far ru-go-n2-go...

It's one thing to say, oh look at that... And quite another to say, do it like me. I remember this from a Kent Ford class, he remarked about people from one town (area) having a certain style or look to their boating. They were emulating what they could see, and thought was the way to go. What I'm alluding to is this might really be helpful to diagnosis technique, but should we really attempt to make everyone paddle the same.

So my question is, do you envision a group diagnosis of someone's video... or do you envision a collection of videos, with everyone saying do it like me - no like me - no never, like me. There are some strong personalities here. We already see it mentioned by some who've bought instructional videos (n-magazines), and stated this so-n-so says this, while that so-n-so says that. Which only goes to show, there is no one right way. There is no common database of this is how it's done, for we all know there is no defacto standards. Nor should we attempt to create a standards committee.

Just playing Devil's Advocate... because in idea it sounds good.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Alden wrote:Craig, that sounds like a good idea.
Alden
glad to hear your on board with this... the alternative for you was let's just say less than ideal :wink:

[img]http://yodel.yahoo.com/wp-content/uploa ... wedgie.jpg[/img]
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I could see both - there doesn't need to be a "standards" committee, but some good examples of technique wouldn't hurt. Some are out there already. And the critique thing could be very useful, especially for those lonely C-boating hold outs who have nothing but kayakers around in their locale. There's more than one way to do a thing right but many, many more ways to do it wrong...
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I think you have 2 kind of paddlers:
- those who accept what has been tought as THE way to go
- and those who critisice what they have been thought and maybe find another way.

I think the ones who are asking questions are mainly of the second type. Asking for some points of view, maybe some examples of good paddling, and of they go.

So yes please, have people post their videos and other people comment on it. Not only you learn about your or others mistakes. You also learn to have a critical look at paddling styles.

And yes, probably there will be some do-it-like-me discussions, but that's why we should have moderators/administrators. Suggesting is ok, pushing is wrong.

But at least it's a good initiative, and maybe we can build up a collection of examples how to do certain things, and how not to do certain things.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

a good place to start... now