Save the West River (release) (VT, USA)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Save the West River (release) (VT, USA)

Post by Sir Adam »

For those of you that have paddled the West River, are aware of it's important place in the history of paddling in New England, or have ever thought of visiting the West River, I would ask you read and considering "signing" the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-the-west-river

It is frustrating to see that as we make progress with private companies (power usually) regarding releases we seem to be going backwards with regards to the US Army Corps of Engineers (releases on the North Branch of the Potamac before the campground is open being another example, though the situation on the West is more serious).
Keep the C!
Adam
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Adam. It's such BS what's been going on up there at the West!

Alden
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Adam,

Is this a different petition than the one circulated at the campground during the fall release?
Is there anyone I can write a letter to?
We drive 7 hours every fall to this release. Not many river/ festival combinations are as family friendly as ths one. Our kids really look forward to it and we usually drag a group of paddlers with us, and if it was two day release we probably would have a whole lot more with us

They are really missing a tourist opportunity here.

Edit: forgot to ask, What is the status for the fall release this year?
h2sk1
C Guru

West Fall release

Post by h2sk1 »

Gail R wrote: ......snip......

Edit: forgot to ask, What is the status for the fall release this year?
There are dates posted for the spring and fall releases. Whether they will be honoured or not is another story. Gail - did you check the NPMB yet? I haven't.
Last edited by h2sk1 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I am assuming this is a different petition, but only because there were not many signatures on it when I digitally signed it.

I do not know the status of the fall release schedule - everything appears to be rather in flux.

For a more informed source (and folks) you may want to check this sub-forum of the Northeast Paddlers Message Board:

http://www.npmb.com/cms2/e107_plugins/f ... rum.php?47

Thank you for your interest and support!
Keep the C!
Adam
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Just checked the Northeast board H2sk1 and signed the petition.
I don't know if the state really understands what a jem they have there. It's a river that's accessable to many diferent types of paddlers. I know if they had 2 days in the fall you'd see an increase in Canadian paddlers.

I'd hate to miss my Dam diner pie and beets man, the local school fundraiser burgers and the shuttle till you drop......

the release is scheduled for Sept 26th, I guess we could always wait and take a couple sites at Windhall again if there's a solid commitment on water instead of the state park.
There's always the possibility of heading east instead of south?
shame
Stingray
C Guru

west river

Post by Stingray »

:cry: Ya its a pretty sad story, My guess is there won't be a fall release. :evil:
Maybe the last time anyone paddles the west unless you live near by. :lol: