Maybe I am wrong but what is min flow?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

up here in pennsyltucky our club just had a paddle training work shop thingy on a creek that was half the flow of what is listed as minimum level. The lower flow made for a more technical and vigorous training ground.
Proud Yankee
Louie

Post by Louie »

Let me know what shift you are workin in the kiddy pool and I post when you are over there? How do you use the smiley faces and is there a list that tell you which one is which? I am told some times people can't tell when i am just funnin with them :roll: :wink: :evil: :cry: :oops: :P :x :lol: 8) :-? :o :( :) :D wait a minute I just figured some of them out what is the P, the X and the 8?
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Louie, I thought you were kicked off Boatertalk?
Louie

Post by Louie »

I am but I used Pinchalocogrino account twice to correct some wrong info that was put out. However I started both post with " Louie here" anomanoue posters and those who won't stand behind what they say are a pet peeve of mine.

BTW why do you ask?
Louie

Post by Louie »

:o duh oh I see where you are cornfused. Deckers told me to let him know when I was done with the preachers stand over here, and what I was tryin to say was that when he was in the kidde pool I'd post over here so I wouldn't be takin up his space here. sauva?
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

tag team?

Post by Longboatin »

So now its gumpy and Louie trying to bang old boats. I will state the case again. While its great to have fun (basically the point of getting out), low flow, min, scrapy hull bash, whatever you choose to call it is easy boating. Its easy to overpower the current to go where you need, its easy to stop if needed. It just doesnt take that much skill of boat handling.
Hey, I ran low shite when I was a novice/ intermediate, because it made intimdating runs manageable. I just dont think I'll be taking anything serial low boaters have to say about boating, canoe design, and paddle type, with anything but an oceans full of salt grains.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Oh do I have easy boatin for you. But how easy is it to stop goin off a 35 foot drop where you only have a slot to land in that only has water six inches wider than your boat. I really don't think you are use to gradient. What is the steepest thing you do on a regular basis?
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

YAY, A Louie rant!! :lol:
it's all relative man.
The James here in town is good from 3.5 to 20+ft. of course my summer minimum flow starts to drop with the river level and water and air temps..
Amiga!!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Louie the sales rep

Post by Longboatin »

Howz 'bout a play by on the clip Craig put up. A long boat could have easily cranked over the main line of that fall. So, why the tight river left creek, i mean sneak line Louie?
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

I sez "canoe zero" is...

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

...the lowest level at which you can run the entire stretch without needing to get out of your boat more than twice.

For e.g., I have run the middle Cranberry (AW sez zero is 3.5') at 3.1' and the only thing we couldn't run was the Cranberry Twist (because all the water ran under that rock on the left, halfway through). Since we only had to get out of our boats once, I wouldn't call 3.1' "canoe zero".

'Course, them ol' kayakers' mileage tends to vary. Something about boat control... or lack of same! At ELF ya gotta be able to put yer boat ezackly where you want it.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
Louie

Post by Louie »

That falls has five lines, far left, left, center, right ( two stage drop) and far right. I have done all but the far right. Hundreds of people a day run that drop and not all the runs get put up on line, but if you screw it up it will go on line. I don't think I swam did I. BTW longboat how many of the five have you run?
Louie

Post by Louie »

BTW longboat it runs this weekend want to come down. Oh ya I forgot you got young ones at home and your brest feeding.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

ooo.. I love it when u get personal

Post by Longboatin »

Hey now, single dads need love too. Im not here bashin up anybodys physical make up, or family. Just the flacid skills.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I left you that out, kinda suprise you was quick enought to pick up on it however.
androooo
C Boater

Post by androooo »

I think minimum flow should be as low as you can go without leaving most of your boat on rocks. That being said,the closest creek to me is painted yellow because i'm too eager to paddle something :wink: and i'm talking about unavoidable rocks; just because you hit a few doesn't mean there wasn't a runnable slot. :lol: