Introducing the Esquif L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

jim gross... we have a "plan" :wink:

Bob P... how exactly? your boat is wicked fast... but it has a fat lip... and I won't have to worry about repairing mine on shore when I smash into a rock. :lol: (I can't wait to see your "stern cam" setup in August)

TonyB... although the decks will remain on the "decked" model the gunnels and cutout will change slightly... in a better way. I don't know of any other ww-boats that offer both choices.

gumpy1114... I haven't spent much time in a Zoom but I'd venture to guess the Zoom is in fact faster. This boat isn't about flat out speed... never was... but it is considerably faster than a Spanish Fly... not that anyone would brag about that. I'm thinking the Zoom in it's length class is more like a top-fuel dragster while the L'edge is better compared to a Bowler Wildcat and a Lotus Elise... but with a 1967 427 Corvette's attitude. :lol:

semdoug... the decks are molded in during the rotomolding process... on the gunneled version we'll just cut the decks off and put on the gunnels and normal (short wood or plastic) deck plates... so it looks like a "normal" canoe. :roll:

jakke... if you've ever spent some time in the original "Sauvage" version of the Spanish Fly or the CU-Fly you'd understand. They work... well. :wink: With the deck plates I'm currently using standard 48"-ish bags which they were designed for... ironically the bags were from my old white Skeeter... that Eddyhops may or may not still have. :(

Lennart... flat area is a non-issue. I'm also working on a GenIII bulkhead for it that should provide a bit more support and better knee, ankle comfort. The "rails" are raised... and you won't notice them unless you want to use them or you are a "floater"... if you know what I mean. :P It holds a line but much like any "Edge" style boat it wants to be "driven"

Craig Smerda... stop being such a goon and kicking up old threads. Nice boat... but you sho' is ugly!!!

Randy Dodson... no clue on pricing at the moment... "that's not my department" :wink:

D-Caption & Helly... can you make it rain... really really hard? I'm working on something... just need rain... time... and a better video camera... and a helmet cam... and some more rain!!! :P

Louie... make you a deal... come to Wausau for Nationals and we'll play a game of "follow the leader" on our gnarly "classII" stuff... if you can follow me and not swim... I'll buy a keg of Pabst to celebrate your victory with at the VFW right at the course. :lol: But all joking aside... I'd love to get it out and hit the steeps and some bigger stuff... I think it's going to be a hoot.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Have you seen J's (not Elvis) means for setting up thigh straps in a PE hull? No bulkhead...

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam ... 4394807026
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Many thanks again to Craig and Esquif. It is fun to be excited about a new canoe design. This is the first time in several years that I have been really excited about a new design. I can't wait to try it out. :D
driftwood
C Guru

got boof?

Post by driftwood »

I know you have not had it on any creeks yet but... does she boof?

Wood
Will dance for rain
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam... I'd like to see more of that setup if you can post some pictures or provide some links. Is it a single strap or double strap system. (thigh... or thigh/knee?)

driftwood... just messing around on the course I got a few boofs out of it but Hailey had a monster boof... hull speed helps. :wink:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote:sbroam... I'd like to see more of that setup if you can post some pictures or provide some links. Is it a single strap or double strap system. (thigh... or thigh/knee?)
There are a couple of more pictures in that gallery - can't get there from here (work) to provide links... The gist of it is that he used his "plate" technique that he uses for C-1 conversions in the open boat - it allows multiple anchor points so you could do single or double straps. He also created bag tie down points. The downside would be weight, but you would be offsetting that against a bulkhead that wouldn't be there. Adding to the upside would be additional stiffness - oilcanning may be a concern with that big expanse of flat hull.

I have one of his "plates" in a Rockit conversion, pictures of which are in selfsame gallery.

Please make sure to send the royalty checks to *J* - he gets credit for this.
pmp
CBoats Addict

SWEEET!

Post by pmp »

the sport moveth forward perhaps
paul
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: SWEEET!

Post by Craig Smerda »

pmp wrote:the sport moveth forward perhaps
paul
Maybe I can convince Jacques to make just one red boat :wink:
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Craig, well done. Commendable work. Long term, major projects -- seen through to the end -- offer rare consolations.

I look forward to trying it out sometime!

Alden
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

If I drive all the way from MT to Wausau at the end of July can I try it? :D Very cool though, nice job. Its great to see different things happening in the C world. You should be very proud, CONGRATS!
B
Helly
C Guru

Dimensions??

Post by Helly »

Hey Craig,
Do you know what the width and depth are???
thanks
Helen
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sorry folks... this is all the footage I have for the moment...
http://vimeo.com/5213136?pg=transcoded_ ... ec=5213136

I know... I know... "Abandons"... it was one in the morning :roll:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

did i read that correctly-one inch of water in the boat after a roll???? wow. pretty neat. roll instead of dump/pump
Joe
Louie

Post by Louie »

not bigger water, more gradient !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That Wisconson flat water sucks.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:not bigger water, more gradient !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That Wisconson flat water sucks.
:roll: