The Garden State

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jottsee
Pain Boater

The Garden State

Post by jottsee »

In just a few short days I be uprooting my family and moving to New Jersey for a year. The only boat I have room for in our place in West Orange is my orange Taureau. I guess I am a class 2-3 boater (somedays closer to 2 I think).

So do people in NJ boat and if so what is close to me. I don't know how much time I will have with work and two kids, but I hope to get out a couple of times.

Thx in advance,

jc
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Some people from Jersey come over to Pa for the Lehigh River releases. (our Ole reliable) Kccny.com will have release scheduale and message board. as well as contacts for other rivers that may be closer to you.

Theres even some open boaters arround and Lehigh is a II+ with a III feature here and there at summer release levels.
Proud Yankee
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

or maybe just give up hope and sell me your taureau really cheap
Joe
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you can get a way for a full day, or night and next day (not easy I know) there are a lot of classic runs, including the Hudson up my way, the Deerfield in MA, and when it rains quick a bit in the Catskills more there... and all of it isn't THAT far from where you'll be.

Best of luck!
Keep the C!
Adam
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

JC!

Great to have you and the family on the East Coast versus the West... and out of the Flatlands.

Maine is only several hours out of NJ and our wildlife is much nicer, prettier and kinder. Go North!

Kevin
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Seems to me there is a short run (III?) just north of Parsippany? I'll have to get out a map as my memory is getting fuzzy ( been 12 yrs ). I remember thy were going to host a slalom race there. We also went over and hit the Delaware near Matamoros (I/II) - i remember talk of a play spot closer to Trenton. The Jersey Paddler was a cool shop- found an old (but unused) Wenonah Edge. High Point and the Delaware Water Gap were cool. NJ was surprising.
jottsee
Pain Boater

MAINE!

Post by jottsee »

Not to worry Kevin, Maine is on our short list.

thx

jc
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

Welcome to Joisey, Jottsee!

There is a surprising amount of good paddling within 1-3 hours of northern NJ. In addition to the previously mentioned Lehigh, we have:

The Mongaup (NY) Cl 2+, with regular summer releases;
Esopus Creek (NY) Cl 2+;
Scudders Falls and the Wingdam (NJ) Cl 2+ play spots on the Delaware River;
Tohicon creek (PA) Cl 3;
The Brodhead (PA) Cl 3-4;
Shohola Creek (PA) Cl 4;
Bulls Bridge (CT) Cl 4;
Boonton Gorge (near Parsippany, NJ) Cl 4.

There are some others as well.

Also, check out these websites for local (and not so local) trips:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njnyww/

http://www.amc-ny.org/information/schedule
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

The Delaware River is pretty tame (Class I with a couple of widely-spaced Class IIs) but it can be a delightful float trip and a great way to introduce your family to river paddling, if you wish to. Probably not best suited for a Taureau, however.

Nescopek Creek (Class II+) near the junction of I 80 and I 81 is a favorite of eastern PA boaters.

Tohickon Creek (Class III) was mentioned, and has one or more spring and fall releases, but tends to be crowded with Philly area boaters on those days.

There are lots of small, seasonal runs in eastern PA including Black Creek, Harvey's Creek, Mud Run (a tributay of the Lehigh) but these come up only briefly and often have at least one Class IV.

Again, if you don't mind flatwater paddling, I have heard people rave about the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

For a completely different experience, go to the Jersey shore and try some ocean surfing.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Dam Wisconson to New Jersey! That is like a latterial move right, or is it considered an upgrade?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Having lived in NJ for 26 years, I can attest to the fact that there is LOTS of good whitewater in the Garden State. Check out the smaller streams that feed into the Delaware, like the Wickecheoke, Lockatong, Pequest, Dunnfield, Pohotcong, Alexauken, Yards, etc, etc.

Jkaz
mattm
C Guru

yup, good paddling

Post by mattm »

there's also the Lackawaxen, which emptys into the deleware. Check out the HRCKC, my buddy Bob R. is really into little out of the way cl.1-2 streams, that all seem to have really wierd names, and are mainly in the northwest Joisey area. Lot's of stuff just over the borders, as mentioned, Tohickon, Lehigh, Mongaup dumping into the DEl., Esopus up in the Catskills actually is up to cl. 4 and is one of my favorite runs
http://family.webshots.com/photo/206521 ... 6337dYaFnT

Then you can head up to Ct., my state, and join us on the Bantam, Housatonic, Shepaug, Farmington etc...

Check out NPMB.com for regional paddling action.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
jottsee
Pain Boater

Many thanks

Post by jottsee »

Thank you to all who responded to my question. I hope to get out a bit anyway.

I am thinking of going to the Lehigh River 8/22. Is anyone that paddles with a single blade going to be out there and willing to show a mid-westerner down.

I live near Newark.

thx,

jc

Edit: Sorry I ment August 22 - I thought they had a release that day

jc
Last edited by jottsee on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

check levels

Post by pblanc »

I can understand you wanting to go during the week to avoid the crowds, but make sure you check water levels. If August and early September are dry, the Lehigh might be quite boney.

If I still lived in Dallas, PA I would be happy to go with you. Indiana is a bit far away.

I note that the Army Corps has a release scheduled for Sept 20 and the Lehigh Valley Canoe Club has a trip planned for that day. No doubt, there will be a good bit of rubber on the river, but the Lehigh Valley Club might be worth your while to join.

I suspect other regional clubs might have trips scheduled to the Lehigh on that release date as well.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'd be happy to, but i'll be boating in western pa that weekend. however i can probably put you in touch with someone. will you be boating early in the morning or more of an afternoon run?
Joe