Broken Nose Video from Saturday

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:Had a rope handy, everyone flushed right out. Plus what is more important, film or rope.
lol film is the important

and i swim on average 3 times a paddling day on the ocoee ... i believe that if i am not swimming im not trying new things and just the fact that i love to swim with a boat and paddle in hand lol
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I completely agree, If you are one of the oh so cool paddlers that never swims, then you obviously are not trying very hard.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've come to terms with swimming - when it's not above Killer Death Fang Fall's forty-leven undercuts and lumber choked sieves when I'm not making a ton of work from my paddling compatriots, then "meh". Sure, I'd rather clean the drop or nail my roll but I realized I've been holding myself back and probably for a long time (especially as a beginner). My swimming skills sux0rz, too - I need to work on those.
gumpy
C Maven

Re: I can see his point

Post by gumpy »

ohioboater wrote:I was sort of embarrassed watching that, too. Doesn't make open boaters look particularly competent, now does it?
sean hows about you and i put on a display of open boating competence at the falls race? big al will be there too, but from what i hear he likes to swim over the falls while waving to the crowd :roll:
Joe
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

gumpy wrote:
ohioboater wrote: big al will be there too, but from what i hear he likes to swim over the falls while waving to the crowd :roll:
A couple of days ago, I was trying to make the case to Marissa why I ought to run the falls this year. I pulled up a YouTube video to bolster my case, which graphically depicted Al and his WOOZ on a particularly, uh, spectacular run. "Uh, wait, no . . . that's not the video I was looking for . . ."
FURZTROCKEN!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Personally I view an occassional beat down in a hole and its related swim as the hydro gods telling me I'm not as good as I think I am!!! :wink: WOOZ on baby!

But then the same thing is true on flatwater! :(
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

gumpy wrote:sean hows about you and i put on a display of open boating competence at the falls race? big al will be there too, but from what i hear he likes to swim over the falls while waving to the crowd :roll:
It's tempting. I've eyed that drop for years, but I'm afraid I'd tweak my back dropping something that high in a 13 foot OC...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Try it in a WOOZ, I hear you will only break your nose - right ,Al? :D
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

No, if you're like Big Al, you'll break your paddle shaft :o :o :o !
Anyone else would have broken their nose though... :lol: ...!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

the great gonzo wrote:No, if you're like Big Al, you'll break your paddle shaft :o :o :o !
Anyone else would have broken their nose though... :lol: ...!

TGG!
in that case i'll leave the wood paddle at home! ouch! :o
Joe
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

c'mon guys!

I agree with Mr. DeadLegs -- if you're not swimming once in a while then you're not pushing the envelope. (That's my rationalization, at least. )
E.g. The one rapid I've swum more often than any other on the LY is Piddly -- go figure. It's because I either always jump in the sticky hole and/or try to make the cool guy attainment move on my offside via the Piddly hole.

Did you see my WOOZ as 2009 Cboats.net calendar centerfold?
Can I make the calendar with my SFLY this year? The tension builds....

Gonzo, u never got back to me re the UY tomorrow. U going? Itinerary?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Sorry Al, forgot to send the message. Check your inbox!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Let me make myself clear. Im not coming down on anyone for having fun, nor am I saying I never swim. What Im getting at here is the lack of any action towards a rescue and the fact that everyone kept pulling out and adding to the problem. Wasnt there just a thread on here about open boaters needing to make more of an impact at the river? How about a positive impact instead of negative. If I was a raft customer in one of those rafts that went by and I was thinking, I like this whitewater thing and Id like to get more involved in it, which craft would I select? Would it be the kayak or the canoe? Get the picture! Ive certainly been told, usually while drinking a beer, that Im irresponsible on the water but Ive never let carnage continue like that with my boatn buds or watched them float on by and provide no rescue at all. By the way, when you get hit by a raft its cause you pulled out in front of it it doesnt sneak up on you. On the upper yock youre known as a target if you pullout in front of a raft, no joke.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Lengthy wrote:Let me make myself clear. Im not coming down on anyone for having fun, nor am I saying I never swim. What Im getting at here is the lack of any action towards a rescue and the fact that everyone kept pulling out and adding to the problem. Wasnt there just a thread on here about open boaters needing to make more of an impact at the river? How about a positive impact instead of negative. If I was a raft customer in one of those rafts that went by and I was thinking, I like this whitewater thing and Id like to get more involved in it, which craft would I select? Would it be the kayak or the canoe?
You mean a positive impact like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anXnMh9f ... re=related

Couldn't resist :lol:

The first boat I saw with a smooth run through that rapid was the first boat down, an open boat, and I believe the majority of cboaters ran it upright. That kyacker did not look to me like they had the smoothest line--pretty slack in my biased opinion. I do want to say that I see your point, Lengthy. First-timers of any craft running class 2+, and up, whitewater need to be broken into smaller, manageable groups with someone who knows the routes to shepherd them. Didn't see that in this video. It looked more like a flush run.

Just HAD to add my $0.02 to the cause,

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

-Al, I swam piddly 6 times the sunday after I met you, we must have spend over an hour there plating and finally having surf wars in that hole. We still havnt gotten three canoes to stick there yet.
Proud Yankee