Best breakdown paddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Best breakdown paddle?

Post by philcanoe »

Was wondering what kind of response I'd get concerning breakdown canoe paddles. I'm in the market for a really nice breakdown. A 3piece would be ideal, as a two piece is a bit hard to place in my Fly (but will work). My question is what options are out there, and which would be your top choice?
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

I'm using an Aqua Bound Edge. I ordered it as a break down. They took their regular paddle, cut it and installed couplings. Mine is in two pieces, but they will do them in 3 pieces. It was a couple of years ago, but I paid an extra $20.. I think it would have been $40 extra for a 3 piece. I have fit it in a fly but it was tight, it's a 60" paddle..
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

surely there are other options?
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

I have a AB three piece, its ok but I don't like the lengths they cut the shaft in. The T grip piece is about 8" leaving the center piece longer than the blade. But it was fairly cheap, it just makes it longer than it had to be. :x
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

Probably not the best, but wouldn't be bad in an emergency.
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/13 ... addle.html
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I always though that Werner also made break apart paddles.
I like the Aqua Bound for it's price point. My 3-piece is great all 3 pieces are the same length, it fits, apart from the Ceemweaver in anything, even the Wheelboy or the Pagan.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

the great gonzo wrote:I like the Aqua Bound for it's price point. My 3-piece is great all 3 pieces are the same length, it fits, apart from the Ceemweaver in anything, even the Wheelboy or the Pagan.

TGG!
Did you ask them to build it like that?

I may have just got some scrap sh&t thrown together. :evil:
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

You could make any paddle a breakdown buy just buying a breakdown kit, which basically consists of the ferule. You could buy 2 kits to make a three piece breakdown. This could be done with basically any paddle as long as the measurment of the ferule and the shaft size matches. Other than that I don't know who makes breakdown paddles, though any good paddle maker should be willing to do a breakdown.
B
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Werner will make a breakdown Bandit. I have one I bought in January.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

ckingoc1 wrote:
the great gonzo wrote:I like the Aqua Bound for it's price point. My 3-piece is great all 3 pieces are the same length, it fits, apart from the Ceemweaver in anything, even the Wheelboy or the Pagan.

TGG!
Did you ask them to build it like that?

I may have just got some scrap sh&t thrown together. :evil:
No, that's what it came like. Several friends of mine have them, too, either 3-piece single blades or 4-piece double blades. They are all approximately the same length for each piece.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Options

Post by Atucky »

Aqua Bound-
I use a 2 piece Aqua Bound in my spanish fly. I usually paddle with a 58, but got it in a 56 just to be sure it'll fit a bit better.

I decided on it because the same paddle (not break down) lasted me 2 seasons, so I'm sure it'll get me out of a gorge in a pinch.

Gala Sport-
My brother got a galasport for his fly. I think it only comes in 2 pieces, and one piece is much longer than the other. Also, the shaft material is very slick when wet, might want to use grip tape of some sort.

I think both paddles around 100 bucks
Last edited by Atucky on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Trunnell
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

werner bandit breakdown only comes in 2 pc and the longer section is something like 44". maybe h2o makes one? i got an aquabound 3 pc. use it once in class I after breaking a paddle a friend made for me. breakdown isn't awesome, but it is the only one i know of.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Oopsiflipped,

Bout time you responded concerning your 3 piece paddle.

Glad you took my advice about not trusting my paddle making and carried a spare. At least I got a 7 day river trip from mine before I snapped it. I've decided to give up paddle making. Maybe I'll try making a boat instead. I'll let you be the first to test it - Lochsa at 6 or 7 feet would be a good first test, don't you think?

Marc
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

The reason I went with a 2 piece – “less pieces to loose”.
I my case the reason the 2 pieces aren’t of equal length is so that my lower hand isn’t on the ferule disconnect point when I paddle.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

cbcboat wrote:You could make any paddle a breakdown buy just buying a breakdown kit, which basically consists of the ferule. You could buy 2 kits to make a three piece breakdown. This could be done with basically any paddle as long as the measurment of the ferule and the shaft size matches. Other than that I don't know who makes breakdown paddles, though any good paddle maker should be willing to do a breakdown.
B
where do you get one of these kits? i'd much rather make it myself, to get it right
Joe