Roof Racks for new vehicles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Some folks really think outside the box...

this... http://bugack.com/tag/livestock/ you just have to see for yourself :lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Once again Craig you have gone above and beyond! Now if you could just learn something about canoes :roll: Are those all previous cars you've owned? :lol:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote:..

(All the racks I currently have are Yakima's btw... but I'd never buy another one)
I'm not sure what I'll buy next - I haven't managed to wear out my first set of Yakimas yet. They've been on three trucks over the course of 18 years. Their customer service has been good, too.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:
Craig Smerda wrote:..

(All the racks I currently have are Yakima's btw... but I'd never buy another one)
I'm not sure what I'll buy next - I haven't managed to wear out my first set of Yakimas yet. They've been on three trucks over the course of 18 years. Their customer service has been good, too.
I've had a few issue's with the round bars and the clamping system they use... not a big fan of that. Had one tower break on my "railraiders" but that was in winter so it could've been a variety of things that led to it's failure. One thing about the Thule bars and towers... rectangular bars can't turn or twist... unless the tower breaks.

Maybe I should try my hand at designing racks next... with me being such an expert of all things paddling related and all. :lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

Craig Smerda wrote: Image
Craig,

Just so you know the picture above actually happened up here. The Home Depot mentioned below is 5 minutes from my house. This picture was taken about 30 minutes away from my house. This was actually on the news.

Here is a link to another site

Here is the Coles Notes version:

My Friends, I give you..........?

THE DUMBEST HOME REPAIR GUY!

This picture is real - not doctored in any way -was taken by a Transportation Supervisor for a company that delivers building materials for 84 Lumber St. New Lowell, Ont.?

When he saw it in the parking lot of Home Hardware in Angus,Ont. he went to buy a camera to take pictures.

The car is still running, as can be witnessed by the exhaust.

The driver finally came back after the police were called from the sub station across the road, and he was found crouched behind the rear of the car, attempting to cut the twine around the load!
Luckily, the police stopped him and had the load removed.

The materials were loaded at Home Depot in Barrie,Ont.
Their store manager said they made the customer sign a waiver.

While the plywood and 2X4's are fairly obvious, what you can't see is the back seat, which contains ? are you ready for this? ?
10 bags of concrete @ 80 lbs. each.

They estimated the load weight at 3000 lbs.

Both back tires exploded, the wheels bent and the rear shocks were driven through the floorboard.
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Regarding tie down spots for a 2009 RAV4. On the front bumper , you'll see square covers on each corner, remove one and you'll see where the emergency towing bold screws in. Presto! You can order an extra from Toyota for about $38.

Re: racks for the RAV4. I was hoping to use my Yakima racks, but was told that Q. towers would not work, they would have to attach to the factory racks. Well Yakima, only rated them with a carrying capacity of 68 pounds, guess what the canoe weighs more than that! With Thule racks, attached to the factory racks, it was rated at 165 pounds. The salesperson thought it was how Yakima attached to the factory racks. We put 74 inch crossbars up there, and so far have carried two canoes on one day trip. It will be interesting to see when we get the Dimension up there, plus the space case loaded with gear, to see how it handles.

Happy paddling,

Carol
[img]http://images.myphotoalbum.com/r/ra/rap ... .sized.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.myphotoalbum.com/r/ra/rap ... .thumb.jpg[/img]
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Thanks Carol - exactly what I needed. I think that I will look into the Thule racks also.

Marc