How to remove rigid D-rings from R-lite Rival?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

phreon
CBoats Addict

How to remove rigid D-rings from R-lite Rival?

Post by phreon »

I just acquired an R-lite/Royalite Dagger Rival. The outfitting is serviceable, but I'll eventually upgrade the thigh straps at least. The D-rings in this boat are unlike anything I've ever seen. The contact patches are made out of rigid, rectangular chunks of plastic held to the hull with what looks like a very thick adhesive or maybe foam tape. What the heck are these and how can I safely remove them?

As for putting normal vinyl patch D-rings in this boat, Stabond is the accepted adhesive for R-Lite/Royalite/R-84, correct?

Thanks,

Doug
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

It's probably Abs Rings glued in with 3M stuctual adhesive.
Have no idea of how to remove them without cutting them out.
You may be able to Carefully grind them down with a side grinder if you take your time.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

polycarbonate

Post by pblanc »

They are probably the polycarbonate D-rings Voyageur used to market which indeed were usually glued in with 3M 2 part Urethane structural adhesive.

It is hard to get the structural adhesive off without ruining the Royalite. I haven't done it, but I have heard of using a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel to slowly grind the things off down to or close to the Royalite.
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

That's not exactly what I wanted to hear..... Oh well. I suppose I can try to reuse them or just work around them.

Thanks,

Phreon
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Just pull real hard, or go into a really big hole and hang on for dear life and hope that the outfitting fails.
B
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

You'll need to grind them off as previously mentioned. The polycarbonate does not flex and the hull does as you know, creating a stress riser at the margins of the D-ring attachment tabs that invariably crack through the Royalite over time. I'd grind them off. When using Sta-bond use only freshly purchased product and follow directions carefully. If you do you will be pleased with the result. If you don't you will create a new hole in your boat.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Phreon:

My outrage I had a set of the anchors you described, and they were attached with a foam style tape. I'm fairly sure that it was original outfitting, which put it at about 7 years old when I pulled one free while practicing my roll. If your anchors are of this type, you may be able to work between the anchor and the boat with a chisel. However, be very, very carefull not to cut into the vinyl layer of the boat. Bad things can happen. If you don't feel comfortable using a chisel, grind away the anchor as suggested by the others.

Marc
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

I took a closer look at them and the D-rings are attached with foam tape as Marc described. I gave a good tug on the straps and it's apparent the adhesive patches are on their way out anyway. They're amazingly strong for what they are though.

I'm sure careful use of a putty knife or straight razor will work the patches loose. I'm just glad I don't have to get a grinder near the hull!

Thanks,

Phreon