Are c1ers canoeists or kayakers?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Are C1ers canoeists or kayakers?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Canoeists
94%
Kayakers
6%

Total votes: 52

cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

As everyone else has said you are a canoeist, but you are using a kayak.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I think at some point in one of the rants beetween Louie and Longboatin Louie had said paddling a short boat is harder than paddling a long boat. Does that mean that kayaking is harder than canoeing? Makes me wonder why kayaks have gotten shorter over the years, are they trying to make paddling harder for people?
B
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

jeez...the only thing hard about paddling an open boat is emptying it out every two minutes.. and making effective cross strokes..and having fun sneaking everthing while everyone else is BOMBING the meat. :lol: Other than that, those tubs are way easier than c1.
Larry
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Gumpy - You're right, it is pink.

So, what's a Finkenmeister, besides being hard to spell or say?

Oops, its boring around here without you.

Marc
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

cbcboat wrote:I think at some point in one of the rants beetween Louie and Longboatin Louie had said paddling a short boat is harder than paddling a long boat. Does that mean that kayaking is harder than canoeing? Makes me wonder why kayaks have gotten shorter over the years, are they trying to make paddling harder for people?
B
I feel it's harder to paddle a long boat... any make it look good.

Some people have the skill and the grace to paddle a 15ft canoe in whitewater.

Paddling a short boat makes you use the river a heckuva' lot more to get where you've gotta go and often to fit into places a long boat would require passing that particular eddy by.

Neither is really better... it's all about personal preference and the skill to make the boat you choose and yourself inside it perform to the best of both of your abilities.
icyone
C Guru

A single-blader is a canoeist!!!!!

Post by icyone »

If you paddle with a single blade, you are a canoeist, period.

Anyone in a boat for the first time can at least go someplace in a kayak. Going anywhere with a single blade requires at least a minimum of technical skill. Any canoeist can get in a kayak & paddle, even tho it may not always be pretty. The reverse is NOT true.

I treasure the memory of my smarta-- ex-bro-in-law, who was SURE he could immediately do anything I could do without even trying, slowly spinning around & around in his shiny brand-new Gyramax with an embarrassed, sick little grin on his face. That was the last of that.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

if you're German as a friend is then we're all kayaking except I do it in a "Canadienne" (sp?) :D He is recently resuming paddling after quitting over 10 years ago and he really doesn't know what to think of my Spanish Fly or converted kayaks...
AYockey
C Guru

Post by AYockey »

I would like to apologize. I accidentally hit kayaker. I was trying to vote on my iPod touch and I missed. Please don't hate me, but if one of the admins could erase that, it would be great.
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

You're a boater. You're floating in a craft manipulating it around the river. Who cares what type of boat it is. So many folks here have such a huge problem with kayakers and I don't understand why. The best couple of boaters I've ever seen have been in kayaks. Maybe some of you should watch a good kayaker sometime, there's alot to be learned from them even if you're in a canoe and especially in a c1. It doesn't matter what kind of boat a good boater's in, they're a good boater they could paddle a sheet of foam if they wanted to. Also, I have to disagree about switching boats with a kayaker. I have recently been doing just that and I have to say she's way better in the canoe than I am in a kayak and I used to safety boat out of a kayak while guiding. I've seen plenty of kayak safety boater raft guides get in a canoe this time of year when lower water becomes boring to them and, with never doing it before, they look better than most openboaters I see. I'm an openboater of nearly 30 years now and when the water is low and I'm feeling the need for some excitement I get in a kayak because it is harder for me. Anybody that hasn't tried it and says it's easy, I challenge you to go swap boats with someone and then tell me it was easy. BTW, I think there's a picture of LOUIE on the upper telleco page of the AW site and he's in a C1!
Louie

Post by Louie »

Why don't you just change to a Kayak lenghty you love them so much, and that is a photo shoped pictured Wig did it.
agmazzuckelli
C Boater

Post by agmazzuckelli »

Is this even a question? C1 stands for a One Person Decked Canoe, you know what differentiates that from an OC1? The O. Both use a single blade and both require more skill than a kayak. Will Lyons is a great C1er and he can kayak well, but even he says that the only thing easier to do in a C1 is rolling. What do you think Barry Kennon would say if you asked him this question? Wow...

-Alec Mazzuckelli[/b]
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

openrclose

Post by Longboatin »

Obviously, a c1nr is a canoeist, yer kneeling and usin a canoe paddle.
Now, as far as Open goes, I think yer boat has to have some actual open space in it, besides where yer body goes. Massive decks, w/ bags touchin yer feet and knees...whats that about 5 % open? Probly less.
Why dont you jus' come out the closet Louie, you amongst others on here are the real yakker lovers.
How much does a bagged out, decked over spudnue really differ from a kayak? Just a cn tare I wager.