Slalom nationals - who goes?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Slalom nationals - who goes?

Post by yarnellboat »

In the photos Craig linked to from the last ACA slalom nationals in WI, I'm surprised so many of the boats are normal, recreational, river-runnin' Royalex boats. Are there also a lot of normal, recreational river-runnin' paddlers?? And it looks there was some funnin' around. And it didn't look like class III-IV.

I figured that the OC slalom nationals would be primarily for a small, elite group of ww racers. Am I wrong?

How many people normally race?

I ask because (if you've read the other slalom threads on here) there's talk of having the next nationals in the Pacific Northwest, possibly BC. So that's in my neck of the woods for a change. Hey, maybe you'll all hold ALF out here one year!

So, what does it mean to a local class II-III weekend hack to have the ACA OC slaolom nationals happening nearby? Many of the people I paddle with are pretty conservative river runners: class II, a little front surfing, no rolls, catching the big eddies, in Genesis, H2Pro, Impulse, etc. - should they even care if any OC nationals happen near here?

Maybe some of you who have been to these ACA national races can describe what the events are like, who attends, and what happens.

Other than watching the races, my biggest hope would be that some come-from-away paddlers/instructors would stick around and offer some playboating clinics (or even just come paddling).
But are the races for more than just semi-professional slalom racers? Who goes to these races?

Thanks, Pat.

p.s. Presumably there are separate Canadian and ACA nationals for OC slalom, is that correct?
Louie

Post by Louie »

March in BC for ALF? Who has a Icebreaker?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

If you look at the results from this year and years past you'll see which classes typically have the most paddlers. Some folks also race their rec boats in the race class. By region... a nationals in the North East will typically draw the largest amount of race boats. http://ocs.whitewater-slalom.us/oc-champ.htm

Most courses are on class II-III water... it's not about difficult water... heck you can make flatwater challenging with a few gates.

You'll find more fun luvin' normal paddlers at Nationals than anyone else. There's a few people like Kaz and Andy Walker that set a high bar... but most are just decent paddlers out to have their own best runs and to have a heckuva' good time... which doesn't end at the race course. I'd say that OC Nat's is the social gathering for Open Boaters.

This year and in the past we've had Andy and Kaz hold performance paddling clinics here in Wausau. If there was enough interest and participation I don't see why that would stop... especially in a region where running gates in OC's isn't a very popular thing. For those people that would make the trek out to the PNW I'd feel pretty comfortable in saying that most would want to paddle other runs in the area either before or after the race.

The best open boaters I know all have some sort of slalom racing in their background and you can see it when you go river running or creeking with them. They're the ones that actually catch all the eddies and make the more difficult moves look easy. One thing I really like about slalom is the fact that you can take a piece of class II-III water and actually make it challenging by putting gates on lines one might not normally take... and that's how you learn to look at and use water differently.

There is no seperate Canadian or American Nationals... this is the ACA OCS Nat's... at least that I'm aware of.

If you or others are considering hosting the race at this site http://www3.telus.net/~soloboat/ in the future... I'd encourage it. There's are a lot of people that are familiar with Nationals that could help the organizer(s). You wouldn't have to do it all yourselfs... that's not the OC Spirit. OC racers are the type to help before, during and after the race is done.

Hope this helps...
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Sounds like fun. Calling it "nationals" and "championships" makes it sound so intimidating! As in, "if you don't train and don't plan to fly around competing in stuff, don't bother racing." I guess that's not the case.

It would be cool to see Kaz and other real canoeists drive their light boats through the gates!

It could be good timing to host it here. Since the open boaters and the slalom organization have just got together last year to host a fun little race, a real canoe race might be a logical next step for them. I'll float the idea. It would be the slalom organization, not the canoe club, who would have to be the hosts.

Pat.

p.s. I'm not going to worry about what all the different classes are, but what's the difference between REC and "citizens"? And what's OC1-X?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Nevermind, I found the link to rules etc...

http://www.americancanoe.org/site/c.lvI ... Slalom.htm

P.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

yarnellboat wrote:Sounds like fun. Calling it "nationals" and "championships" makes it sound so intimidating! As in, "if you don't train and don't plan to fly around competing in stuff, don't bother racing." I guess that's not the case.

It would be cool to see Kaz and other real canoeists drive their light boats through the gates!

It could be good timing to host it here. Since the open boaters and the slalom organization have just got together last year to host a fun little race, a real canoe race might be a logical next step for them. I'll float the idea. It would be the slalom organization, not the canoe club, who would have to be the hosts.
Depending upon the location, most Nationals have about 60%-70% "Regulars". Most of the rest are locals who have some slalom experience, but some are newbies with good river-running skills. Generally, the National courses are more difficult than a typical local slalom, so at the very least you should be comfortable running gates, plus be experienced playing Class 2-3 water.

As was stated above, you can get a lot of skill by really working a river. NO drifting! A single move doesn't count for much (unless it's a monumental offside ferry). You should keep a nice continuous path through a complete sequence. If I find a good "set", I will do a sequence lasting up to a minute over and over until I do it right. (But I'm a little weird.)

Running gates is a pretty specialized skill because the paddler must keep the stern in control at least as much as the bow. So, the more gates you run, the better, and the more you watch a really good paddler running gates (and learn how (s)he does it, the easier it is. But, it does take a lot of practice to be good, because the paddle does much, much more than just push the boat forward or turn it.
Bob P
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks for the helpful description Bob.

Last year was the first time in my generation that open canoes have tried gates around here. And yes, it was a short, easy course.

I expect there's a handful of class III paddlers in Vancouver who would try the citizen's race in summer of 2010. Hopefully more from across BC & Western Canada too, as well as Seattle & Portland etc. But probably not too many.

I guess it's up to the ACA if they think that enough of the usual suspects would make it out to BC for the race. And whether the local slalom club (Chilliwack Centre of Excellence) would be interested/available to host it.

I've passed along word to the CCE (who organize our local canoe slalom race) that ACA is consiering the PNW and is looking for bids.

Tamihi on the Chilliwack is a great rapid. I don't see why it wouldn't work there, as long as the racers would come.

Pat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

yarnellboat wrote:Sounds like fun. Calling it "nationals" and "championships" makes it sound so intimidating! As in, "if you don't train and don't plan to fly around competing in stuff, don't bother racing." I guess that's not the case.
It is kinda cool - I was able to tell folks at work that I was going to the "OC slalom nationals" (the year before last) and get some "oh wow"s. Same again last year about the downriver nats, though the boy and I ended up just being a photo crew.

As has been noted already, a lot of "normal" paddlers showed up at the slalom nats, though almost all had raced before. Not an intimidating atmosphere at all. The downriver nats had a much higher percentage of "very serious racers", I thought, though the atmosphere was also very friendly.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

Hi Pat
Alan, from western Montana here... it would be hard to add much to what Craig and Bob had to say other than to emphasize, IT IS A HECK OF A GOOD TIME!!!!
I am 52, have been paddling since Boy Scout days (40+ years) and did my first local slalom 20 some years ago. Did some more of those in Montana and Idaho and went with a buddy to Golden, CO in 1999 for my first OC Nats. I was hooked and have been to most of them in the last 10 years. It has been a great activity for my daughter and I to do together. She is 21 now and very involved with crew in the PNW but still paddles whenever possible. She went to 5 of the 7 Nationals I attended and helped me organize the one held in Montana in 2004. It has been a big part of her recreational life and we both hope to make many in the future. People in their 70's come race competitively so I think I have at least 10 good years left!
Another personal angle on my enthusiasum for the event is that my skill level improved more in the last 10 years than the previous 30 (and paddled and took courses alot). And I would even claim that the trip to Wausau a few weeks ago exponetionally grew my skills yet again.
I love to run rivers and would not want to chase gates every weekend but the benifits of slalom racing are huge.
And did I mention, IT'S A HECK OF A GOOD TIME?!?!
Jim
C Guru

If you run a race, they will come

Post by Jim »

First off- we should all recognize that each and every one of these racers are elite paddlers! I mean, these ARE the NATIONAL / NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS. On top of that- the competition is severe. That is why you see the racers busy carb-loading and re-hydrating each afternoon. To the less-informed observer it may appear that these elite racers are drinking beer and watching the final runs of the day, but experience has taught me that the ritual carb-loading and rehydration routine of these racers is an important component for their success.

Also be careful about making interpretations from the pictures. Those pictures can be deceiving… or, as my wife said, “even Roy’s boat looks good in these pictures”.

Okay, enough sarcasm (which does not translate well into writing).

I will agree with your observation that this is for a “small, elite group of WW racers”. If fact, the group is too small. We could use a few more paddlers in the gang, or even a few hundred more. They do not need to be elite, just “paddlers” will be fine.

Here is my take on it- I attended my first “nationals” race in 2005, and returned for 2007, 2008 and 2009 (my father was sick in 2006). Compared to the regular crew, I am just getting started. However, over the last 4 years, this has been my family’s big vacation trip each year. The diverse locations allow us to visit areas we would not otherwise visit, the race gives us a focus and some fitness, and as was mentioned- it is a GREAT social event.

Here is an example- in 2005 we pulled into a field in a campground in Jonquiere, Quebec with a pop-up camper. Some friendly guy stepped up and guided us in to a spot, then introduced himself as Pete Steffes and he helped us set up the camper. In 2007 we arrived at Wausau to a warm welcome from Pete. In 2008 we pulled in to Minden in the dark, and were not even sure we were at the right campground. At a campfire we found, once again, Pete Steffes. He found us a camping spot, and more importantly he gave me a beer (it had been a long day of driving!). In 2009 we pulled in to Wausau and I hear a bellow from the river of “Hey Jim”- there was Pete, again, welcoming me to a race. Pete is one of those wonderful people to have in your life, and without these races there would not be that connection.

Another important aspect of the race is the socialization- the gathering of people who love open canoes. This is a friendly, and a family-friendly, event. The best example is the picture of those Simpson boys (#1335, the first one on page #5)- that picture of the father-son team sums up the gathering / race.

I agree with the recommendation that there are some racers who are extraordinary, and after watching them many of us have begun to realize the potential of the OC. The great thing is that they are the biggest advocates for the sport- guys like Kaz and Andy are quick with the praise and encouragement, and with low-key advice or coaching for the rest of us “mere mortals”’ out on the course.

So, my response to “who goes” is- those paddlers who appreciate an open canoe.

If you hold it they will come. The northwest is a long-haul for me (upstate NY), but it is also the best excuse I can think of to go there.
Jim
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

the gathering of people who love open canoes.
Good enough for me!

and after watching them many of us have begun to realize the potential of the OC
And what a great bonus!

Thanks again for the helpful feedback. Very convincing.

Pat.