Recommendations on an OC-1 for a small woman?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Coz Teplitz
C Boater

Recommendations on an OC-1 for a small woman?

Post by Coz Teplitz »

Hi folks:

My partner is looking to buy an OC-1. She's reasonably experienced, just small - around 5'4", 110 lbs. She also won't have boatloads (please forgive the pun) of money to spend. She's wondering what sorts of boats she should look at. Does anyone have any experience being a smaller paddler? What's worked for you or someone you know?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I believe there's a used Millbrook Boats Inferno for sale on this website. If not, I'd be happy to sell her a new one. I can cut the sheer line down by a couple inches so it's not so deep.
JKaz
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

what kind of paddling?

Maybe a lighter weight full size boat - Esquif Spark, Zephyr; Evergreen 9?)Solito; ???

Maybe some smaller rotomolded boats - Skeeter, Spanish Fly (not necessarily light, though)

Maybe a composite boat - a slalom boat, or maybe a more playful design like a Millbrook Rumba. The slalom boats will be easier to find second hand. Don't rule out new - a new Millbrook boat is comparable to new plastic...
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

If you can find a used Dagger Phantom that would be a great boat for her.

New, I would consider an Esquif Prelude. At her size, the boat won't really be that squirrelly.

An Evergreen Solito is a good suggestion as well. Small and light, though a bit edgy if she's a beginner.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

at 117 pounds and 165 cm (don't know in inches - 5 ft 6'' ??? ) - I'm a woman, too - I do love the spark a lot. Fast, responsive. I'd look for this or another used Slalom OC1 - don't fear the more sensitive material, the boat performance is more than worth a little extra attention for rocks

another good choice is the Robson Holmes, but as this boat comes from a european manufacturer it might be difficult to get in northern america
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
JulieKeller.com
Pain Boater

Post by JulieKeller.com »

milkman wrote:If you can find a used Dagger Phantom that would be a great boat for her.
I'm her size and Phantom is my favorite boat.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

A friend of mine is even lighter, and really likes her Phantom. They can be difficult to find though.

I'm certain Kaz could come up with something light and well suited for her.
Keep the C!
Adam
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

If she's into creeks or playing in holes - I'm an inch shorter and a couple of pounds heavier :roll: , but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Spanish Fly (tough to find used though and new ones are $$$ but worth it) and enjoyed my Skeeter.

They aren't the lightest boats out there, but I have no problem with hiking in/out or portaging due to the shorter length. I used to paddle an Ocoee and had to use a portage yoke in order to be able to hike the boat in and out because of the length.

Kimmie
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

My 14-yr old (about 5'2, 120) paddles a Probe 11. She handles it well. Needs help carrying it, though.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Phantom
Spark
Solito
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

boat for small female

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

I've got a zoom for sell in the gearswap section
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

I'm 4'11" and I like the Ignitor or the Spark. Paddled the inferno 2 weeks ago and found it a bit twitchy but maybe I'm just not good enough for it. If I had one maybe I'd get used to it. It is nice and short though.

Natalie
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Get a Prelude and never look back.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Coz Teplitz
C Boater

Post by Coz Teplitz »

Wow, great forum, thanks for all the tips. Sounds like Phantom, Spark, Solito, Prelude, Zoom, Inferno would all be good choices. Now we just need to find one at a price that works. I'll let y'all know what she ends up with, and how she likes it.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Try before you buy!

As far as I've seen on the european armada, most woman like the spark, because it's light, and fast to accelerate. Even though a zephir is also light, the woman at the armada were less interested while for most too heavy to get on speed.
I think a zoom or prelude might be a bit to extreme to start with, and maybe she doesn't like that type of paddling.

So i'd say, try to find out what kind of boating you want to do, if anything specific, or else search for a good allround boat. And give them a try, since everybody here names his personal favorite, or nearly everybody ;-).