Shortest full volume oc

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Shortest full volume oc

Post by 2opnboat1 »

What is the shortest full volume oc, Mohawk has the Maxim at 8'10" is there anything shorter
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

the would be correct!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Huh?

Post by Longboatin »

Why anyone would want or need anything that short or, god forbid, shorter still alludes me. Not sure I'll ever unnerstand the tiny pot mentality. Still seems, that designers and consumers are chasing the yak shortnin trend to me. Which is odd considerin the tone of apparent distrust of all things buttie, by Cboaters.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

tiny boats

Post by 2opnboat1 »

For a long time I have been aginst the short canoe trend, I thought that any boat shorter than 11 foot was wastefull. My opinion has been changed I have boated the Maxim three days 1; upper tellico, middle occoee, upper ocoee; the boat has impressed the crap out of me, it is as fast or faster than most 11' boats that I have been in. It boofs like a dream and rolls so easy. So i am still up in the air about the tiny boats I do like the maxim and cant wait to get it on some steep. The boat did well enough today on the upper that I will take it to the Gauley and see how the cards fall.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

thats nuts

Post by Longboatin »

Hve never been in a Maxim, but have watched one try to attain to an eddy at Swimmers on the LY, and the guy was havin a tough time of it getting back up to the line up.
Had an Ocoee, and paddled Esquif Nitro and another short E boat, that said found them pretty slow for river running, though most here seem to disagree. I still dont unnerstand how.
dazed and confused
LB
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

The part I don't get about the question is

" shortest full volume OC."

What does full volume mean? What are some examples of OC-1s that are not "full volume"?

I paddle a Millbrook Big Boy, and it is unquestionably "full volume."
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Robson CU-Fly, Esquif Salsa? They're certainly not full volume;

I don't get people who go on about distrusting the shortening trend... From my point of view; anything over 10' is completely impractical, The rivers I'm paddling I'd destroy it in a double broach or vertical pin within the year; A long boat that carries more speed would be nice for big water... but I don't have none round here to paddle, There's now't intrisinicly bad about a short boat, it's just the right boat for the job sometimes.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

"Full volume"? Does that mean boats of a more "traditional" design?

The "fly" desgins are certainally not traditional from a historical perspective but are traditional for their intent of design (they all have a lot of the same design features).

As for the shortest boat - who knows! I know SqueakyKnee has a k modified into a cool looking oc and I personally would love to get a shot at paddling that Black Fly! It looks like oh too much fun! So does the question related to "production" only?

Long verses short means little to me.... it depends on what I feel like on a particular day! Speed, cruising, surfing or the touch of running a big boat through some tech lines verses jumping into every hole to playing and surfing my brains out.... Fun us fun and thats were its at for me!!! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jrsh92
C Guru

Re: thats nuts

Post by jrsh92 »

Longboatin wrote:
Had an Ocoee, and paddled Esquif Nitro and another short E boat, that said found them pretty slow for river running, though most here seem to disagree.
I personally do find the Nitro to feel quite slow... but I'm not sure it's about the length. At only a touch shorter than the Spark, the Nitro is much much slower (the Spark's like a rocket) and some boats that are shorter than the Nitro are faster... the Zoom for example is way shorter. There are plenty of reasons not to paddle a Zoom (it's... squirrelly to say the least) but speed isn't one of them.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Sorry for being too lazy to look it up myself... what's the Hellman Otter, "full volume" for sure (to the point of being boxy), but probably more than 9'.

Pat.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The Otter is 10'6".

I agree with others here that the under 10' boats are a blast and so is hopping into a longer boat and making the moves in a bigger boat. But most of the time, it's the short boats I grab off the rack.

Back to the Otter--I have yet to see one. In pictures it looks a little like a Rodeo with blunter ends and less rocker.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

but...but...but...but

Post by Longboatin »

Kriggit -
I'll agree that a short hull may be just right for the job of steep creekin. However, I'd wager the majority of recreational ww boaters are not boating those types of runs, thus the shortnin trend could be doing a disservice to the class III-IV cruiser.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Shortening hasn't really come at the expense of longer boats, there's no shortage of boats to choose from in the 12' + range.
And short tandems make long solos, so I don't think the cruisers don't have anything to worry about.

Pat.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: but...but...but...but

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Longboatin wrote:Kriggit -
I'll agree that a short hull may be just right for the job of steep creekin. However, I'd wager the majority of recreational ww boaters are not boating those types of runs, thus the shortnin trend could be doing a disservice to the class III-IV cruiser.
As my kayaker buddy round these parts says: "Go Big, Or Go Home!"

In all seriousness though, the long boats surely exist as part of a progression or selection of boats that you use; If you can paddle a long boat, you can paddle a short one just as well if you put effort into getting used to it.

Just because it's your recreation doesn't mean you should stop trying to better your boating!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

I'm in a Superfly, used to paddle an Ocoee.

Post by iRolled »

I'm in a Superfly, used to paddle an Ocoee. I love my fly, its a shorty & right next the the Maxim on lenght. I prefer it to a longer boat, especialy being in the southeast. however, if i know im going to be on a wide river or something mild like the Hiwassee or Nanty, I'll take a bigger boat. Perhaps I'll give the Maxim a shot next time I get the chance. 8)
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;