Compare Prodigy to Outrage?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

Compare Prodigy to Outrage?

Post by TommyC1 »

Anybody paddled both enough to compare strengths and weaknesses?
The Prodigy seems quick. Likely quicker than the Outrage.
Does the Prodigy turn as well?
Is it more or less likely to offer swimming lessons?
Does it like to surf?
Whay about the X? Big difference or not?
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I've seen several Outrage owners switch to the Prodigy because the boat has greater primary and secondary stability. It's also just about as fast in acceleration as the Outrage ... and perhaps a better boat for surfing. I've also seen several Outrage X owners make the switch to the Prodigy X and never look back.
Last edited by milkman on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Prodigy vs. outrage

Post by Mikey B »

In my opinion, the outrage is a much nicer boat than the prodigy and the prodigy X is nicer than the Outrage X.
The prodigy doesn't have enough stern rocker. It tracks easier and feels more like a traditional canoe for those getting into WW, but doesn't flat spin as well. It is fast, accelerates nicely, and surfs okay...but definitely likes certain waves. It is designed for a smaller paddler. The outrage feels higher performance and can do everything as good or better than the prodigy. That said, it's still a pretty decent boat.
I think the prodigy x is a nice boat. More enjoyable to paddle than the Outrage x to me. It surfs nicer than the prodigy...and sorta feels more like the outrage, probe 12II, shaman, rival, type boats.
Definitely worth a test paddle.
MB
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Tommy, I have an Outrage (wood gunwales). I have paddled a Prodigy a couple of times. The Outrage is a little longer and a bit narrower than the Prodigy, so one might expect it to be quicker and that was my impression. To me, the Prodigy felt predictable but a little "stodgy", but again, I may not have given it a fair test.

Years ago, I paddled Tom Foster's Kevlar Outrage prototype, which he called "Fluidity". At the time, I was paddling an Encore, and the Outrage felt very high-performance and even a little radical. Of course, that was then and this is now, but to me the Outrage still seems like the higher-performance boat compared to the Prodigy, but it might depend a lot on paddler weight.
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

I owned an outrage and have paddled the prodigy x. I thought the outrage was quicker turning. The prodigy I felt had more initial stability. The outrage is definitly narrower by 2" wich I find less comfortable. I thought the outrage was lighter and quicker BUT if I liked the prod x as a fun river runner for me.